Profile picture for kayakerdave

I've contacted 3 realtors in the last week, via email and phone..no response! R U joking me?

Are you kidding me? 3 Realtors, not getting back to me -  an 800 credit, almost cash paying customer. What do I have to do, to get someone to call me or email me back?? I don't want any rookies as I don't want to do all the work.
Dave in Clermont

November 02 2011 - Clermont

My apologies for their rudeness! Sometimes I wonder why agents are even in our business. I do not know why you are trying to contact them, but would suggest that you zero in on an agent to represent you and let them make the calls and do the research. When you work with a qualified agent, they can eliminate your frustrations and hopefully get the job done more efficently for you!
Zillow is a great resourse for finding just the right agent to work for you!

Dave call me I am here to assist you anytime!
Diana Hope
Spinnaker Realty
diana@spinnakerdestin.com

Look for an agent in your area...especially one that has good reviews on this site and likes to be helpful in answering questions...

Sorry Dave I hear this so often about different agents. I really do not understand why some agents are in this business. I always  respond to all my calls and emails. If you are interested in the Destin and surrounding area I will be more than happy to assist you. In addition I take it that you are a kayak-er which this is my favorite pass-time here in the Destin area..
Diana Hope
diana@spinnakerdestin.com

Totally amazing.  All my buyers tell me that I not only responded very quickly but that I kept in touch.  I am sorry.  

Dave,

I am sorry to hear your frustration. I am a rookie as far as the Real Estate Sales side. I do have appraisal training before I decided to flip to sales. This first year has been phenomenal, and the reason it has been so great is because of the huge ammount of complaints just like yours. This is unexceptable to my standards and I would like nothing more than to change your feelings about realtors AND rookies, not only to make you happy, but to insure that this profession is around for my children. Please, give me a shot and I won't let you down.

Hi Dave 
You know 9 years ago a friend of mine was looking for a house and she was qualified for up to $1 million.  I couldn't believe it when she told me that 2 Realtor's that she called did not call her back.  When I heard that, I knew I needed to leave my corporate sales job and get into  Real Estate.  No one, no matter how much they can afford should be avoided.  We are suppose to be professionals and if we don't have the time to follow up with someone, then we should refer that individual to an agent that is not as busy. 

Look for a Realtor that is posting answers on this site, or go to open houses in the area where you want to buy and speak to the agents then you can decide if they fit your needs.

There is a pattern here.....

Most agents just don't ignore calls from potential customers. But let's take this a little further.....if you are trying to contact the listing agent and the subject property is a "distressed sale"(short sale or foreclosure), this is fairly common....I'm not saying it's right, only that agents experience this frustration as well as customers because we have the same difficulties getting return communication.

You are correct....not taking the time to return a customer's contact is bull #$&@ and shouldn't be tolerated! My recommendation....move on...but do so by contacting your own personal representative and let them deal with the frustration of this incompetence.

Being too busy to be responsible is no excuse......

Bill

Profile picture for LexyBur
True what Weber says about a "rookie." I found one 10 years ago. I was afraid to work with someone so new at this but the real estate agent I was working with got angry that I didn't buy what SHE wanted me to buy, so she used the scare tactic to try to push me into purchasing. I didn't fall for it and that agent had a cow and told me the house I wanted was no longer available, that now I had to buy the more expensive house. Long story short, later I found out it was a lie, the house was still available (in one year I was the only offer it had).

I was so disappointed, I continue to search and met a 'rookie.' We both learned a lot together and I saw her work her back side off  for me. She fought for me, like only a best friend would. It turned out, she was just new a real estate, but she was no dummy and not lazy at all. She was eager and pumped up to succeed.

Great at negotiating and a pro in people skills, this rookie got the listing agent to have the seller greatly reduce his asking price and leave lots of stuff in the house, like chandeliers, drapes, snow blower, etc. She also helped me lower the interest rates and even help me find free boxes for the move. She was my hero back then and now she's my friend with an attitude.

She's been doing real estate for 10 years and she does not try so hard anymore. Now she wants it easy. Now she can't be bothered, Now she returns phone calls and emails when she's good and ready LOL!!!!

I would be happy to have you as a client and in return would provide you with great customer service!  Keep calling until you find someone who has the time to give you!

If you are looking in the southern half of greater Orlando I be happy to hear from you.  Just click on on picture and contact me.

Profile picture for blue screen exile
I can't think of any other business where a hang-up call (wrong number, prank call, telemarketing...) is more important than a real call.

What's your price range?

Any agent that is not calling you back in a reasonable amount of time is giving you a gift. they are telling you that they do not follow up, are too busy to take on a new client or figure it is your job to hunt them down. All bad signs for an agent.

You can ask friends or relatives for referrals or you might try attending an opn house or two in your area to see if you can find a solid agent that way. Life is too short and there are too many good agents to wait until your beg one of the reluctant agents to call you back.

Hi Dave,

Sorry to here you are having trouble finding a local Realtor. You can see from my profile that I'm in the Davenport area so if you still need someone to help you out give me a call or shoot me an email.

I would love to be able to say it surprises me that agents are not calling you back, but to be honest I have the same problem with most of them and I'm in the business. Let me know if I can help in any way. My info is in my profile, just click my picture. Have a great day.

Nathan Tutas

Next time say you are calling from the IRS.

There is a reason this industry has the reputation of a drunken carpet salesman on the Silk Road. And like the other posters said, there are plenty of exceptions to the 'bad realtor' apple, but you will have to use your personality radar and ESP powers to find one.

To make you feel better, or worse, here's a personal anecdote to the personality disorder that affects many of the people working in real estate:

Many times my calls to other realtors, with pre-approved buyers at the waiting. would go unanswered. So I decided to experiment with the stereotypical realtor philosophy of "more business, more business, more business and once I've got 'em move on to the next" principle.

Now, when I want a call back, I don't leave a message. Never!!! And my success rate, documented, is almost double then when I leave messages. The following is a regular occurrence on my phone, "Hi this is John Doe, I just got a call from this number...."

R U joking me.... It just seems some realtors do this job as a hobby and are not sure how to connect with people. In every profession there are "bad apples" but once you get passed them you should find somebody great. If you need help finding somebody in your local area, feel free to contact me or any of the other agents below. We all have a referral base of great agents all over the country. As my goal is to  "Help and guide you in one of your largest purchases of your life, making this purchase as easy and fun as possible." These "bad apples" make us all have to work harder to gain the trust and respect of you (the client).

As for rookies. Everybody has to start somewhere and sometimes a rookie will work even harder for you. They are out there to prove them selves and you maybe surprised on what they can do compared to a seasoned veteran who maybe stuck in there ways.

I suggest trying to meet with a few agents before making the choice, as this process can take sometime and you want to make sure that you are working with the right person.

Any questions feel free to contact me. I work the beautiful Madison, WI area. Come down for a visit and find out why you want to move here.

Aaron Weber

Frustrating, right? I can't believe it either and try contacting them when they have a home listed and you have a client who wants to purchase it...
There is good and bad to every profession and you unfortunately have found the 'bad' Good news, badluck comes in three-lol
If you want a referral to a good agent, email me or ....go up to Professionals and choose another agent from up top. 
By the way,there are some phenomenal 'rookies' out there who can run rings around the ones who have the 'years' attached to their credits. 

I am sorry you are having a negative experience with your home buying process.  It is sad and unfortunate that numerous agents are so unprofessional.  The positive side is there are many professional Realtors in the business that would be delighted to work with you.  Have you checked with friends or family for a referral? That is the best way to find a great Realtor that will take exceptional care of you...ask a friend or family member who they would recommend.  Best of Luck!!

That is why I got into real estate. Twelve years ago, when I was looking for a house, realtors made me feel like it was a big deal if they returned my call. So I went into real estate with a philosophy of great communication and treating people like I want to be treated.

Another thing that bothered me was when my realtor would take a call on his cell phone while showing me a home ... like the other person was more important than me. I do not take calls when I am with a client. I return calls and e-mails promptly.

You deserve to be treated with respect. I hope you can find a realtor that will return your calls and give you the information you request!

I would love to help a buyer like you. Move to Bloomington Illinois.

Are you dedicated to buying in a certain geographic area? If so simply go and talk to a few realtors there and interview them. You can ask them about their experience and a lot more. Once you find someone you wish to work with they can help you for ANY house for sale in their area.

Working with the listing agent is generally not recommended. They have a legal duty to watch out for the sellers best interests. Would you like to think what that means they owe to you as a buyer?