I've had my home advertised for 51 days and have receive no responses. Is there something I'm missin

I have not heard any responses even though my home has been advertised for 51 days. There have been many viewings. What am I supposed to do? Thanks, Art
  • September 18 2012 - Millburn
  • 0

If you don't get any showings in ten days of listing your property or ten showings with no offers you are probably over priced. Remember the Market/Buyers in your area set the asking price.

I would be happy to review your situation and help you get your home sold.

Sincerely,

Jim Grice
Keller Williams Realty
[phone removed by Zillow moderator]

Art,
Real Estate is more about people than it is about the house.  For Example:I have had a house for sale for three months in Castro Valley on Giovanna, and this house is very nice.  The sellers insist at listing the house at $699,000 becasue that is what they want to recieve.  The problem with this is that the buyers are like perranas ( sorry about the spelling).  In addition to buying a house that they love they want to feel like they are getting a great deal.  When the house whas listen at $699,000.  I was hardly recieving offers and the offers I did get were between $640,000 and $655,000.  I was disappointed and I had a serious talk with my seller.  I asked them simply why they hired a Realtor if they didnt want to listen to my professional advice.  They realized that maybe they were making a mistake and it was getting in the way of achieving theri goals.  I then was able to list the house at $649,000.  Gues what ?  Within two minutes of the price change I recieved a phone call and the next morning I had four offers.  Thsi time the offers ranged from $665,000 all the way to $690,000.

Wow !!!!  What a difference,  The seller is now happy and we will be accepting an offer tomorrow morning.  The buyers were in a situation suddenly that they were in fear of losing out on a great deal that they were compelled to increase their offer prices just to keep someone else from getting the good deal.  People are motivated more by fear and loss than anything else.
Also, having a Realtor represent your home has many advantages that are not available when listed by the seller.  The agents have access to many web based marketing tools that sellers do not have.  Also, I have experience with selling homes so I know what to do, when to do it and what to expect.  I prepare the home, do any maintneance that may improve the value of the home, stage it, have a professional photographer take beautiful pictures, create a virtual tour, and I market it the right way at the right time and I get results.  Realtors have access to the documents and we have legal representation and insurance that are all necessary to protect the interest of bothe the buyer and seller.  :Lastly selling a home is eexhausting, fielding the calls, arranging the showings, weeding out the weeds from the real buyers and transforming those buyers into actual buyers that are qualified and will close escrow.  Finally I process the transaction and close the escrow successfully so that you may accomplish the goal without using all you time and energy.  This is alot to digest, I know.  It is the truth though.  I would love to read your comment on my comment and find out what you think about what I said.
Thank you,Serean Kimmel Realtor ReMax Accord

It is likely that because there were many viewings it is a desirable property. Being in real estate for almost 30 years, a majority of the time when I have encountered a situation such as yours, it is when the home may be priced too high. Additionally, Realtors have extensive experience with documentation, negotiation, marketing, and personal contacts & clients that may be interested in your home. It is a great idea to hire a professional in your area that can get you top dollar for your property. Best of luck. 

Profile picture for De Luz Agents
Hello Art,

How did you determine the listing price?

My recommendation would be to consult a real estate professional in your area and review the comparable sales for your neighborhood.

I might look at the length of time the agent has been in real estate. This is a very difficult market these days. I would look for a person that has been a FULL TIME real estate agent for over 10 years.

It may be time to hire a Realtor if you are not working with one.  Great Realtors have the marketing tools and resources you need to sell your home. 

If you have not had any offers in almost two months it is also likely that the price is too high.

Assuming this is your home, you are missing MLS coverage. In your price range, at your price, you wont sell you home by your self.

You are also selling during the SLOW period of time, after Labor Day - hence you need help.

Contact a local Realtor in your area to sell your home OR lower your price quite a bit...... both Zillow and Trulia show it to be worth in the $600's . .........

What could you do better?

1.  Is your home advertised on Zillow only, or many sites.   (Postlets, owned by Zillow, will allow you to list on a number of sites).

2.  If you had no interest in your home in the first month, why did you increase the price by several percent in mid August? 

3.  Photos - the current few photos do not show your house in good light.    Have the photos sharply focused , uncluttered (no wires on the floor, no kitchen counter stuff).   Make the photos say "wow!  That would be a great place to live".  

Hello Art!

People want to see lots of pictures, virtual tours and preferably wide pictures as they give a better perspective of the rooms. Please consider that. In addition please make sure the asking price is at or very close to market value; Obviously I don't know your property however a quick glance I see you property value picked at $741,000.00 in May 2007, The market was higher then. You're asking $779,000, consider a price adjustment, it will bring you better results. Don't overprice the property thinking that "there's always time to come down" this is a crucial mistake too many people and agents do. Have you asked for the opinion of a Real Estate professional? A good Realtor (R) can be a tremendous help to you.

Are you a FSBO (For Sale By Owner) or listed with an agent? You may want to look at recent sales in your area to see where you are priced compared to those sales. Follow with the people who have seen your home to get feedback as this may help uncover any issues for marketing. If you are in Santa Barbara or Ventura counties and are not listed with an agent, I can give you comparable sales and current listings to stay you in the process.