Profile picture for jkent2011

I've made an addition to my house... good thing?

Hey Guys.. 

So to make a long story short.  I own my home.... and I have added a loft/play area to my kids bedroom.  (which they love)  However, i did it myself.  And i did not get any special permits.  I had the materials and felt confident in the project.  It turned out great, and everyone loves it that comes over.  

But my Question is... did i do a bad thing by not getting permits?  Can i add this area to the sq. footage of the home?  Make it a selling point?  Or will this get me in trouble.  I'm sure i would need to get it appraised, but again.. just wondering if i have made a mistake by just doing this. 

It's roughly a 7'x6'ish area that i reclaimed from the attic.  It's complete with sheetrock/carpet/electrical/HVAC.  Pretty much a separate room that they can go into from an opening in their bedroom.  Has a nice set of stairs/landings to get into the loft.   

Any help would be great! 

Thanks in advance...

JK
  • March 29 2014 - US
  • 0

I would  not add it to the square footage of your home as it does not have permits.   In addition, should you decide to sell you will need to disclose that it was done without permits.  A buyer may ask you to get them and get them closed (which can be an expensive pain).