I added 1700 sf to my home

I have looked at the prices of homes in the 21784 area with 2300 sf as mine but  you are pricing my home 6015 Oklahoma RD Sykesville MD 21784 at 256,000? I have it at 385,000 because I have looked at the homes that are 2300 sf close to mine and they are in the 400s. I have made many changes to this home since 2003 which I do not think you are aware of? Can you take a look and see if you can adjust your appraisal. Thank you  
  • August 14 2013 - Sykesville
  • 0

Zillow's method of calculation is described in their FAQ "what is a Zestimate?" You can find it at the bottom of the page by clicking on the word Zestimate. A Zestimate is not an appraisal. If there are factual errors in your home's data, you can claim it on Zillow and edit the facts. Www.zillow.com/help/

Go to the Zillow help section and check out the EDIT column.  This should answer your questions.  

The zestimate uses lots of criteria and algorithms to come up with the values on the homes.  Zillow itself indicates that they are off as much as 20%  more (either way) on 77% of the homes on the site.  Inputting the correct information should help to bring it closer to a true value and will add a comfort level to consumers on the value.  

http://www.zillow.com/help/

The actual value when you are considering selling, will need to be determined by real estate agents (done thru a comparative market analysis) and appraisers -full visual inspection of home using recent SALES in the area of comparable homes.  

The public records will be used to support the value.  SDAT shows your above grade enclosed sq footage of 1702.  Hopefully permits were pulled for your addition and the public records can be updated to show your true above grade square footage.  As indicated in a previous answer, this will most likely affect your tax base, increasing your annual taxes.

Maryland Mortgage Mama

I can't say that that answer works for me. I believe that it's always better to put your best foot forward. Meaning I would really appreciate it if you could adjust the price according to the comps and sf around my home.

Profile picture for Outer Banks N C
First, no one in the real estate business pays any attention to online value estimates. They are not accurate, how could they possibly be accurate? They often use county public records data of size so you might check the local public records to see if they have your size correct. Often owners don't want to make it correct knowing they will be taxed a little more, so it's a double edged sword. But bottom line, no one pays any attention to these online values, and they are certainly not appraisals, they are estimates -- another word for a GUESS.