Profile picture for Sarahbrown05

I am a Soldier in Iraq, and I want to buy a house with Cash while I am over seas. Is this realistic

I am trying to figure out if this is a possible goal. I am unsure of the rules about buying a home with cash if you are not physically there? My e-mail is sarahbeth.brown@us.army.mil

• December 21 2009 - Indianapolis

Certainly realistic, but what is the goal?  Are you looking for investment property or for your dream home when you return?  What happens to the home in mean time before you return? 

If it is for investment, you can have a POA (family, trusted friend, attorney) assigned and it becomes relatively a math equation -- how much do you spend...what are the rental comps...figure the return on investment including taxes and insurance...submit the bid and wire the funds. 

If it is your dream home, then you need to have a trusted friend or family member or preferably, a short leave.  I had two deals this year from soldiers where they searched online for what they wanted...requested additional home and community information along with photos (what does it look like when I'm looking out the front door) and then flew in for 1 week to see it in person and make the offer.  Both of them closed with a family member as a POA and had a family member staying there until they return.

Thank you for your service, I hope this helps.

I have worked with a client overseas who purchased a town home yes. have someone represent you. send you picks and virtual tours of homes. and have that agent get in touch and show property that you like to your firends and family that know you best to help you make this choice. Contract paper work and closing etc can all be done via fax as long as notarized at least in my state and I just had the title compnay wire the funds.

Profile picture for The LaPeer Team
You really have to trust the person who is representing you. If they are looking for a quick paycheck, it's likely that you will be unhappy w/the results. I've done this a couple of times and it is really hard. I probably went overboard w/pictures, dicslosures, researching the propperties, etc., but I didn't want the buyers to be unhappy with the property or with me! I've always asked that the seller have a friend/relative here to also be their eyes. Even so, this is a major decision that affects only you. Are you sure you can't wait until you get home? That would be the best thing.

Profile picture for blue screen exile
I think it is foolish to spend large amounts of money on anything without being able to see it, or without having someone that knows you extremely well to see it for you.

The paperwork can always be done by fax machine; so that is not the major issue.  And money wiring to anywhere in the world is easy also, especially with internet electronic transfers and bill paying.

I know people that thought they trusted someone else with the buying decision; but were unhappy with the actual selection.  For the final decision, you can't tell with just photos, specs, inspection report, and tape recordings.

Thank You for your service. The others that replied are correct, you need representation. I believe the USO would be a good start for information. Once again, Thank You for your service and God Bless You. Regards,

Hire an attorney to handle it all for you.

Sarah-

I am currently working a cash deal with a gentleman who is a contractor in Iraq, but he has a power of attorney here in the US. 
You would either need the capability to sign documents via email/scan or have a POA here in the states that could sign on your behalf.
It can be done - but certain things would have to be in place.