Profile picture for Rachelle Dalrymple

I am a US Citizen who has worked overseas for the last 14 years. Can I purchase a home in the US?

I have been told I can't take out a loan in the USA while working and earning Australian dollars. I would like to rent this house out to my son. An investment property. I have always had a US bank account with a small balance. I would be transferring Aussie $ to US $ for the down payment and the monthly rent will pay for the mortgage.
  • January 31 2012 - Shawnee
  • 0

Best Answer

You need a lender that specializes in this. Did you try talking to the bank where you have an account?

Profile picture for Mike Nielsen
according to one of the lenders I work with; it shouldn't really be a problem.  Since it will be an investment property, you will require more down than an owner occupied, but i am sure your bank overseas produces bank statements, etc....  and the required forms/docs...

That isn't true. As a Realtor® Certified International Property Specialist, I assure you that foreign nationals borrow money to buy real estate in the US all the time. Feel free to email me for a lender referral.

Hello Rachelle,

Take a look at this previous thread.  Good luck.

Candace