Profile picture for HLBorman

I am a first time homebuyer, are there any classes or seminars available to first timers like myself

Any help would be appreciated, I'm new to this game.  Thanks!!!

November 09 2013 - South Gate

There are many resources for first time home buyers. The first you want to do is check out some of the HUD offices within your area. Secondly you want to work with a broker that is going to educate you every step of the way. I am known as The Mortgage GPS so I can lead you to the best loan based off of your financial situation.

Feel free to contact me through my profile for a no cost, no obligation rate and fee estimate. If the numbers work, great. If not, at least you know exactly where you stand.

I agree with the statements of some of my colleagues, you should first find a realtor & lender that you trust. Either of them should be able to guide you to services that aid first time buyers in your area.

Best wishes in you home purchase

First of all, congratulations on deciding to become a first time homebuyer!  Like I tell my clients, becoming a homeowner requires you to not just be financially ready, but emotionally ready as well.
You learning through Zillow as well as wanting to learn more through classes and seminars will hopefully help you feel confident that you can do this and will be holding the keys to your first home soon.

It can be a confusing and even scary process, after all it's probably the biggest investment you'll ever make. As for myself, I would have never made it through the process without my own realtor guiding me through every step of the way...Now that I am a realtor as well, I break it down for my clients into steps:
1.) Find a realtor you trust and communicate to them what you need/want in a home
2.) Get a pre-qualified with a lender you (and your realtor trust) so you know how much home you afford
3.) Gather and bring in your documents (taxes, pay stubs, bank statements, etc.) to the lender
4.) Start seeing homes with your realtor

Your realtor will take it from there in terms of writing offers and escrow. 
Good luck and I hope you become a homeowner soon!

As Marci pointed out earlier, there are a number of great first-time homebuyer programs available; here's a list from HUD on some down payment assistance programs for Maryland. (In many cases, it pays to apply as early as possible in the calendar year in order to stand the best chance of getting any grants that you might qualify for, so bear that in mind as 2013 comes to a close!) These programs often/usually require you to attend homebuyer education courses for approval, so you can potentially kill two birds with one stone if you qualify.

Even if you don't qualify for these grants, here is a list of HUD-approved housing counselors in Maryland; call around to the places in your area to see about enrolling in the pre-purchase education workshops and/or predatory lending workshops. As others have noted, many real estate agencies do offer free seminars to homebuyers - but there's an obvious conflict of interest there. (Note: Many of these seminars are actually very helpful/run by excellent and ethical people, but since I don't live near you/am not licensed in MD, I couldn't give you a specific recommendation. The HUD housing counselors I linked above are generally pretty neutral w/r/t the info they provide, so you should be safe from hard sells, etc.)

And as others have said, a good real estate agent can be worth their weight in gold during the entire process - so be sure to do your research before retaining a buyer's agent! With that said, it *always* helps to be forearmed with basic knowledge of the homebuying process, so kudos to you for wanting to educate yourself before jumping in! An informed buyer is a joy to work with, so good luck going forward! :)

I highly recommend you shop around for a Real Estate Broker with whom you can feel comfortable.  A good broker should know all the ins and outs of buying and should be all you need.  If a broker doesn't have your confidence you should immediately find another.  Make sure the broker is a member of the Association of Realtors.

Hi HLBorman,

My office is very close by, in Seal Beach, off the 405 and Seal Beach BLVD.  We offer first time homebuyer seminars, as well as other educational seminars.  Contact me and I can give you more info and let you know when our next one is scheduled.

Congratulations on making the decision to take that big step.  There are many things to do to get ready, and then some tricks to find the best professionals for you.  

Here's a link to Zillow's buyer's roadmap, a useful start and then hud.gov's section on buying a home.

There are often free home buying classes in communities - of course, these are put on by people who are looking for clients.  The quality may vary so don't rely on these as your only source of education.

Hi, yes there are many programs you can benefit from. I have a program you should consider working with. I just came from a seminar today and they specialize and getting homebuyers approved and utilizing payment assistance programs. They provide counseling as well to prepare you to qualify with lenders the first time around. They have a great track record of zero foreclosures! You also get the hours lenders require for down payment assistance programs.

Are you working with Realtor and lender? Finding a good Realtor and lender will be your first step. We can direct you to all of the resources available in your area. There are lots of great programs to educate and help with downpayments if you qualify. Some do not have income restrictions!