Profile picture for hmgiller

I am a homeowner.Zillow is showing my house for sale, but I do not have it listed.Resolve?

I cannot get Zillow to respond to this question. Nor can I get them to assume responsibility. I want to know how and where they received their erroneous information, as I am the homeowner and am getting a ton of calls from brokers asking me why I am listing when I said I did wasnot going to list

July 29 2011 - Malibu

Best Answer
Hi Hm,

We'll be in touch with you shortly to get this resolved.

Thanks for your patience!
Russ

What a very wide value range tells the buyer is that there are very few comps available for the property.   It is basic statistics: a tiny sample size gives wider ranges for standard deviation and other statistical measures of variation and a large sample size  gives much smaller standard deviation and other measures of variation.     It is superb business practice (in my non-Zillow opinion) to show the range appropriate to the sample size.

Profile picture for hmgiller
Russ...I just received an e-mail saying that Zillow lowered my Z-estimate to the erroneous level that was posted on Zillow when Zillow said my house was for sale, which it is not. You may recall that Zillow said my house was listed for 1.827M, and I am not listed, nor do I desire to sell my house in this market. No one seems to know where this 1.827k number came from. However, your system just lowered my home value to this number. In addition, your posted range of value for my home is 859k-3.09M . What type of value is delivered to a buyer with a range such as this?. How do we stop these shenanigans? How do I get this erroneous valuation removed from the system? Zillow knows nothing about this property.
I am really disheartened by your service, and the lack of accountability that Zillow is providing me. As a public company, you guys should know better.
Howard Giller

hmgiller: you are welcome.  I'm glad to see Faye is communicating with the broker also.

Zillow has a thread about quality issues and one of the big ones is these erroneous listings, as well as expired listings etc.   I am a bit disgruntled how often electronic tracks are left all over the internet related to properties and the agents aren't compulsive about cleaning up.   (One of my pet peeves!).

Profile picture for hmgiller
Hey Wetdawgs
THANK YOU for walking me through how to determine who sent this erroneous. feed. I did contact Lynda, and she knows the house is not listed for sale, and I hope will resolve the feed issue. WHAT A NIGHTMARE! Hopefully Zillow can do their part as well. I would never offer this house at a price so below market, and this could screw up the history on my house as well as the comps in the neighborhood.
Thanks again for your help, and thanks in advance to Russ in customer support to taking care of this mess.
Howard

Profile picture for Faye
  • Faye
  • Contributions:4321
Hi hmgiller -

It shows that your house was listed via feed on Zillow.com. I took down the posting from your property and contacted the agent to remove this listing from the feed.

Have you called or E-mailed Lynda Marsolek to request it be removed from the data feed?

A very wide range on the Zestimate comes because there are very few (if any) comps available for the calculations.

Profile picture for hmgiller
Russ...please resolve this as soon as possible, Not only am I not listing, but I do not know where this pricing came from, and I do not want it to effect my value on Zillow. In addtion, look at the range of value assessed on Zillow--something like 860k-3.2MM....."WTF". Lastly, if you click on my pproperty details and then property address in the pop-up box and scroll to the bottom, the live feed suggests a Lynda Marsolek broker, with a price that is inconsistent with what Zillow says my house is offerred for. This is a mess. Please, Please, Please straighten this out.
Howard Giller

"how and where do they receive their erroneous information"?  

If your house is listed for sale and you've not put it there and haven't been working with an agent, what you need to do is to open the property details page (click on the address in the pop up box) and then scroll to the very bottom.   At the bottom you can tell if there is a live data feed because it will be blue.   Click on the blue link and you'll have your answer.   Ask the guilty party to remove the data feed promptly.  Once it is off the data feed, then it should no longer appear for sale on Zillow within 72 h, probably less.

While you are at it, google your address to see how many other sites have it listed for sale.

(You don't need to go through an outside agent.)

Do you want to email me the address and I can do some research for you?