I am a homeowner looking to rent my home. How can I get on MLS without hiring a real estate agent?

• October 18 2012 - US
  • 0

It sounds like you either didn't click with your previous Realtor or they just weren't very good.  We are all very different, so it may be worth talking with your friends/family members and getting personal referrals of a few other Realtors to interview.  When you talk with them, be totally honest.  I'm sure that you could find an excellent Realtor who will be a support to you during and after the rental process and still allow you the amount of control you desire.

If you'd rather go the direct route, then there are different methods depending on where you live. In my area (Seattle) there are very few rental listings on the MLS, but they are all on Craigslist.  You could also try www.hotpads.com 

Thank you for your kind answers.    I did hire an agent previously, but I was not happy with his work and follow up.   I would like to maintain control of the process, but feel the MLS listing is important in getting good showings.

Profile picture for Tom at the Lake
I agree completely with Tim.  Hiring an agent is the best way to go, but you can buy advertising on our own in a lot of different places for your rental.  The thing is, most REALTORs buy that advertising in bulk, so we can get you a lot more coverage. Were you only concerned about paying the REALTOR commission or did you have other concerns with hiring a REALTOR? In my area, the first month's rent is the customary commission.

Profile picture for Bruce Cadden
There are realtors who will list it for you for a fee.

Sorry, but you can not. The Realtor organizations own the local MLS systems. It is our #1 tool for selling property and to be able to use it requires a Realtor to access it. Without a Realtor you can not access it or enter anything on it. It is not a national MLS, they are local and owned and operated and governed by the local Realtors in your area.

Tim