Profile picture for BarbaraDavis1

I am appealing my property tax assessment for the first time.

The county, needing every taxpayer dollar, assessed my home at exactly the same value as last year.  Clearly out of touch.  In the past two to three years there have been many foreclosures or distressed sales around me.  The homes are priced at less than half of what they were when they were first built and sold (2003/2004).  There is no way my house has not been affected and I know I could never get close to selling it for the $194,700 assessment-that is just ridiculous.  A friend put me on to your website and I have found it to be so enlightening and useful.  Any suggestions or guidance you can offer will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks for a great website!

June 23 2012 - Lawrenceville

Hi Barbara,

There are a couple of things you can do to prepare for your appeal. You can contact a local realtor, that is familiar with your neighborhood, and ask for a market analysis. Explain to the realtor that you are not interested in sellg, but appealing your property taxes. The market analysis will contain comparable sales, comparable listings and a recommended listing and sale price. Most realtors will do this free of charge.

Another thing you could do is contact a local appraiser and pay for an appraisal.

The more substantiated information you can provide at your appeal, the better your chances will be for lowering your taxes. I am a realtor and I appeal my taxes with a market analysis. Bring lots of documentation with you and leave a copy with the appeal board.