I am buying a house in Raleigh NC can my Lender be from another state?

I currently live in GA, can I get a lender to work with me here while buying the home in NC
  • July 27 2013 - Raleigh

As others have stated, as long as your lender is licensed in NC they should be able to process your loan. However, a local lender often has insight in the local market and can be very resourceful. Good Realtors often assist with referring clients to lenders that have good track records, or have taken care of their clients previously. Our agents pride themselves on working with lenders who have proven that they can provide our clients with excellent customer service, and the best professional advice regarding purchasing a home.

Best wishes with relocating!

Local lenders are normally the top choice when purchasing a home in another state because they know their market well and may have insightful information on purchase tips for the area you are looking to purchase your home. However, you may choose a lender from any state just as long as the loan officer who is doing your loan in licensed in that state. The lender in GA may possibly have better rate pricing than one you may find in NC, all it takes is to find out and see. 

You may do a web search for Consumer NMLS, enter in the loan officer/lender's name, and it will provide you with the states that the loan officer or lender is licensed in.

Profile picture for James Embry

You can typically use an out of state lender as long as they are licensed in your particular state.  I however would suggest using a local lender because they would be a little more familiar with your local market.

Each State has their own process and rules to close a loan. Due to that, it is best to work with a lender in the State you are purchasing in.  
If you really like your GA loan officer, ask him/her if they can lend in NC as it's not automatic.
If they are unable to assist in NC and you would like to discuss this further, feel free to contact me.  
Thank you, 

Yes your lender can be from somewhere else however,using a local lender is helpful. I have found many times that lenders not from here, if they can't close in time, could care less. (not all lenders, there are some great ones out there too) The lender knows that whomever your Realor is, could be a source of future business,same as you.....I am a local Realtor, let me know if I can answer anymore questions for you.