Profile picture for MsMarci

I am disabled and was told I may be able to avoid having to pay my real estate taxes is this true?

I am disabled and just learned that I may be able to waive the payment of my real estate taxes. I wanted to get a verification of this information. Can someone please help me ? Thank you.
  • April 02 2010 - Greenwood
  • 0

You may be referring to Section 12-37-220(9) of the South Carolina law stated here.

(9) a homestead exemption for persons sixty-five years of age and older, for persons permanently and totally disabled and for blind persons in an amount to be determined by the General Assembly of the fair market value of the homestead under conditions prescribed by the General Assembly by general law;

There's more about what constitues "permanently and totally", but it all looks to be spelled out here.

My father is diabled, and I know gets some tax help. Feel free to email me and I will be more than happy to find out more information for you. 

Thanks - David Holloway

I have not heard of that in most communities I have lived in. Some communities do have property tax discounts for seniors or homestead discounts, but it really depends on your community what they offer. I would call the local tax assessor in your area here and explain your situation and ask if they have discounts. Most assessors offices are very helpful and nice. Hope it helps.