Profile picture for bigsteve242

I am inheriting a home with dan old septic system. Do I need a new system prior to deed transfer?

April 08 2009 - Knoxville

Profile picture for DanaEv
We have an older septic system, and when we signed the purchase agreement, we required the owners to have the septic and water systems checked out.  They did indeed have a problem with the septic system (a problem pipe in the front yard) so they had the work done to fix it and gave us the papers.  It did leave a huge hole in the yard but we hired a yard service that came up, put in dirt to fill the hole and re-seeded it.  They can not cover up the pipes coming up so they filled it with dirt up to the about 2" from the top of the pipes and we painted the tops of the pipe green to match the grass.  If there is nothing wrong except that it's old, have it checked out.  Ours is 25 years old I believe, unless it was replaced somewhere along the line after the house was built, and it works just fine.

It's a whole nother ballgame if you have city sewer now.  You have to cap off the old sewer system but I"m not sure how you do it.

If you are concerned about the condition of the septic tank I would suggest a septic inspection.  I had a client who had his pumped and inspected and it cost $300.  Because they are usually located about 18"-20" they will have to fully pump the system and dig to check the system.

If you are paying cash or just simply transferring the deed I do not believe you need a new system.  However, keep in mind if you plan on selling the home many loan programs, such as FHA do require inspections.

Old and unused because the home has been connected to the city sewer system or old as in just old but operable?

This might make a difference, but I am not the septic expert! Anyone?

I wouldn't think so, unless the old one is not working properly.