I am looking at vacation propery on the Central Oregon Coast should I use my out of area realtor or

a local realtor for that area?

May 06 - US

That is a question that is not asked often enough here on the coast.  With Portland just 90 miles away buyers from the city often use their agent and have them commute to the coast.  The agents rarely have much local knowledge nor do they seldom know the nuances of the various neighborhoods. In addition, out of area agents also are not necessarily familiar with the importance of proper construction for the area where salt air can quickly age a home not built for the area.
Out of area agents are not familiar with the homes where as many local agents have actually seen a good number of them and can save a buyer time by eliminating ones that will not suit their needs. Local agents like myself also know of homes that are just coming on the market that out of area realtors have no knowledge of.  I know if I were to buy a home out of my area I would rely on the expertise of a seasoned, well established agent in that area and not just look around myself even though I am a realtor!

May 08
Joe is completely correct. Have your local agent work with the agent in the area of interest as you obviously trust your local agent. They will both get paid and you will get twice the experience.

May 06
Whenever possible, use a Realtor who either lives in or intimately knows the local area through their work.  You can also trust an agent who doesn't know the area as well but who has assessment and analytics experience and can pull out statistically significant information about local subdivisions.  In my experience though, very few agents have that type of education and training.  

I would recommend that you speak with your current agent and ask them if they know a top-notch agent in your area of interest through their referral network.  They should be able to find you a great agent that will serve you well.  Good luck!

May 06