Profile picture for Lexington Chef

I am looking for a good brand central heat and AC with a good price. Any recommendation for this?

My current house is 900SF (with force hot water) and planning to remodel to 1600SF.  We plan to have central heat and air, however, we plan to move to keep the force hot water approach to new area due to budget issue. Is there any better brand for central air/heat with good price and quality for our reference? Also, should we move to central air/heat for new area? As we have the new boiler installed few years ago with good condition. We prefer to keep it for budget consideration and use it if central heat can be used.
  • December 31 2008 - Southwest

[Promotion removed by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy for more information.]

Profile picture for DMAX121

We installed a Trane A/C unit last summer to replace the 10 year old original York unit. What a difference. We have a 2000sf ranch house with 16 foot ceilings. The old unit could not keep up with the demand. After installing the Tranne unit, the house seemed equally cool in all rooms. Our electric bill dropped about 35%. Also the new unit is so quiet and also came with the 10 year parts and labor warranty. Watch because some companies will tell you it has a 10 year warranty but its only on parts. You will have to pay for the labor. I am happy and when my furnace needs replacing, I will be buying a Trane!!

Profile picture for FlooredAgain
I live here in Oregon and we also went with a Trane, model XV95, which is a 95% efficient model. What a difference. Most existing heating systems that come with the houses when first built are too large for the homes so they never run as efficient as they should. A builder buys one model, one size and throws them in all of his homes he builds regardless of the size of home. 95% efficient means for every $1.00 I spend on my gas furnce energy, .95 is used and only .05 goes out as water vapor / exhaust. Go with a contractor that can accuratly measure the size furnace you need and offers the 10 yr. parts and labor warranty. BIG THING:  The warranty is transferrable when you sell. How many warranties, other than cars, can you say that about?  Best furnace on the market in my opinion, quiet and with the programmable thermostat, saves me a lot of money.

If you're looking for reliablilty, American Standard (Trane), can't be beat.  Bryant equipment is engineered with comfort in mind, and is the most comfortable equipment on the market IMHO.   Be sure you get a 10 year parts and labor warranty with the system.  Selecting an installation contractor is as important as selecting a good brand.  Also, look into selecting an air source heat pump, instead of an air conditioner.  Even here in Minnesota an air source heat pump is a very effective way to cut your energy bills.  

Profile picture for aprilg
My husband and I installed a tankless water heater about 2 years ago  made by Titan a company in South Florida. (www.titanheater.com) It has been great and they have great customer service. We also installed a new A/C by Trane, I have to say it is excellent  as well as being extremely energy efficient. We've cut about 30% off our energy bill.

Since you're doing a remodel, have you considered a tankless water heater and maybe heated floors? 

I really liked the Trane sytem and their 10 year warranty. It ran quiet and trouble free in two different houses for me. One of them was their "economy" type model and it was very nice, economical and quiet. I know that Trane is not the cheapest out there, so I would get a few bids and see who gives you the best overall plan for your situation. Make sure and check them out with your local contractor's board and make sure their bond is good before you let them start work. That protects you if they fail to finish the job properly. Some contractors are much better at remodel type modification while others prefer ground up new system installation. Make sure and pick a global type HVAC contractor, they will see your house as a challenge and not a pain in the tuckus. It makes all the difference.