Profile picture for Steven PL

I am looking for a guesstimate of cost-per-square-foot for a 1200sqft addition? (point loma)

• June 29 2009 - Ocean Beach
  • 0

$175,000 does seem to be a little on the low side, but prices vary considerably based on design, finishes ect. You may want to think of hiring you own agent, to work with you from the beginning, to ensure that you are getting the most " bang for the buck". It can be quite difficult to compare bids, verify credentials, assure codes and city ordinances are met, minimize conflict with the neighbors, not to mention assuring quality at each and every phase of the project. Most problems can be minimized by a professional, but it starts at the beginning. Value engineering can save yo a substatial amount of money, or at least provide you with a higher quality finished project for the equal amount of money, but again, it starts at the berginning.  While most contractors are honest and ethical,  ultimately their interests and yours are not the same.. 
I don't work down your way, but you can contact me if you like, and I can give you a little more info.

Profile picture for Steven PL
Thanks for the advice and feedback. I am now getting bids in the 175K range for the 1200sq ft. size. So I guess prices really are coming down. Bout time!

In San Diego, a rough estimate would be 200-300/sq. ft. depending on finishes.  Lawrence is right in there.

$250,000-$300,000 conservatively. You can probably do it for a little less. Let me know if you have any other questions. - Lawrence