Profile picture for archyankur

I am looking for an independent home buyer's agent. How can I find one who knows my community well?

• October 03 2009 - Farmington
  • 0

Hello
I am a FarmingtonCT  Realtor who can help you.  Drop me a line if you are interested:
[contact info removed by moderator]
I know the area well as I live in town.

Profile picture for BINNY JOSEPH
you can also get the list of local real estate agent from Zillow.

Deleted...Was answering this but then noticed it was an old question.

John Herman
The Buyers's Representative Real Estate Co.
Connecticut

Another alternative is to ask friends, family and trusted co-workers if they have a Realtor they can refer to you.

As mentioned earlier, visit local agencies and interview a few agents and make sure that there is a level of comfort with the agent and that they  understand what your needs are in a home because the agent you select will play an important role in a significant investment.

Best wishes.....

Feel free to go into a local real estate office in your part of town.  Most likely, the agents there live in the area and or sell homes in that area.  They will have valuable information that will help you find an Agent that you are comfortable with.

Profile picture for blue screen exile
"There is no data that you can pull up which will tell you how water will flow through your property" -

Well, I think you can download the U.S.G.S. topo maps for almost any area in the country, which would give you some clue of water flow.  At least it works in my area.  Still, you need to look at the property and storm drainage provisions.  Even then, you don't know that is will be adequate for maximum rain conditions if you haven't checked.

But very few that haven't lived in an area can tell you about traffic flow issues, local school issues, local politics issues, noise patterns, neighborhood issues, neighborhood associations, climate issues, police enforcement issues or lack there of, zoning issues, building code process..., demographics..., best places to shop for various items..., historic districts, landmark districts, parking restrictions...

And you can guarantee that just because someone lived in an area and did business in area doesn't mean that they bothered to pay any attention to any of these things or that they are qualified to assist.

Word of mouth is always the best choice, but you still need to ask questions to make sure they can provide the kind of service you desire.

And yes, "independents" that are not connected to a major Real Estate company MAY be able to provide more dedicated service, but an Agent still needs a broker.  So if they are not connected with one of the big labels, do they have their own broker's license?  In some cases, the broker makes as much difference as the agent.

check all resoures contact your counties board.
search the web for most active realtor in that area.
and interview many to find the one that not only knows the community, but uinderstands, the market and financing options for you. good luck happy house hunting

Interview Agents that practice in your area.  Some may have been norn and raised there....knowledge of the community.

And others may have practiced Real Estate in that area for many many years (ei. 30yrs.!)...also knowledge of the community...

Interview as you would if you were hiring someone for a position...because you are!!!

Good Luck!!!!

Profile picture for pvhomes
Check the web.

for example my family has practiced real estate on this island for the past 40 years.  That would give us some historical perspective on various real estate issues.

the idea of "knows my community well"... I agree and diagree with NWHome.us.  

I agree that competent person with access to the data can look at a market and tell you what is going on in that market at any given time.   I disagree with the notion that this somehow makes up for "local knowledge".

I guess it depends on the location, but if we are talking about my neck of the woods in Hawaii.  There is no data that you can pull up which will tell you how water will flow through your property.  A person who is not local cannot tell you the various transactions on specific property, the problems the developer had with not using the correct fill in making a subdivision, etc., etc...  When it comes to raw numbers, I agree, anybody with access to data can interpret that for you, but if you are not familiar with the immediate area, you cannot tell the client why one subdivision is performing much better then another subdivision, and although exactly the same on paper, why one is worth more then the other.

Now I might agree that these are specific issues, and maybe specific to my market, but I can tell you time and time again I hear "my agent didn't tell me that" from a person who used a non-local agent.  And the answer to that statement is "they didn't tell you because, how could they have known?".

I am going to run on here, but if you start to call your Agent "local" just because they've lived in the area for a five years, then you might as well use the outside Agent too, because you cannot expect that Agent to have much more historical perspective then the other.

So... if you require historical knowledge of a certain locale make sure that the person claiming to be "local" really has been there for quite awhile.

Profile picture for nwhome.us

I'd like to challenge the notion of the local expert.
I think that buyers know where they want to buy.  The internet has opened up lots of information on amenities, schools, transportation, crime, neighborhood goodies and such.
I find that as a buyer's agent, entering an unfamiliar market, I can focus on the market data and have a clearer perspective on what is happening to the values in the neighborhood.  From there I've also found that local lisitng agents are surprised at how strong the data arguments can be.  I don't fit their mold of the local group.
Search the Zillow FAQ section for lots of opinions on buyer's agents.
Also go to the NAR website and look for questions to ask your Realtor.

Why not go to open houses in your area? Look for a Realtor who specializes in your area and has good references.(Ask them, and don't be afraid to ask your neighbors, or even your family atrtorney. )  In CT, each Realtors is an  independent contractor associated with a Broker who holds his/her license. You can interview several Buyer's agents and ask to review their buyer broker contract before you sign. Good luck!

I'm not sure what you mean by "independent." There is a national organization of Realtors who specialize in Buyer's Representation.
It is called the Real Estate Buyer's Agent Council. REBAC