I am looking for condos & am about 5 years away from moving so I need no agents right now. The

doesn't send me any; just houses for sale.  I am looking in Olympia, WA & surrounding area.  How should I proceed?
  • October 30 2013 - Olympia

Best Answer

Profile picture for JoshBarnettREIB
Wait 4 years and 9 months and then proceed by hiring a Realtor. 

Sunnyview wrote:  "I notice it just like I notice post dates for most questions."

The date thing is bothersome too.  Someone from 2008 asks a question and someone answers it in 2014, as if the person who asked is likely to still be a around.  Sometimes it can be a question that might be of more general interest (e.g. Bamboo floors), but sometimes the questions are very specific and would only apply to that one person.

At least Zillow doesn't allow the things that Trulia does.  Their site has become practically worthless because some agents think they should post just about anything (ads for open houses, blatant copyright infringement of news articles, canned blog pieces, etc.) just to get eyeballs. Based on the sporadic activity, I think there must be a continuing education course which teaches that.
  • June 03

BTW, on this Realtor.com topic, up until maybe 5 years ago the NWMLS did feed to it.  More recently, Trulia cut a deal with some Florida MLS to get direct feeds.  Link.  Clearly an area where local information is important.
  • June 03

"See if you notice that too now that I've brought it up."

I notice it just like I notice post dates for most questions. Some answers are well meant, but shallow othera are plain wrong. Not a big fan of the three word response reply either. I get the frustration, sometimes I even share it.

Real estate is local, but honestly every real estate questions is. You do what you think is right.
  • June 03

It's to stop them from doing it.  There was someone from Oregon on Trulia who was repeatedly posting all kinds of nonsense.  They not only stopped but they deleted at least some of their nonsense.

Also, keep in mind I'm not doing this activity primarily to get clients.  Mainly I'm trying to provide useful information.  I work mainly off referral. 

It's a bit harder to tell on Zillow where people are from, but in general out of state agents tend to just do short posts that don't really say anything, or say something that is stupid/wrong.  See if you notice that too now that I've brought it up.
  • June 03

"Sunnyview, I'm condescending to out of state agents all the time. "

Not sure I'd be so proud of treating others as lesser. Your advice to seek a local source or agent is understandable, but I guess I just don't see the need for taking a swipe on the way to giving good advice. 
  • June 03

Sunnyview, I'm condescending to out of state agents all the time.  I don't go around answering questions from other states and I don't understand why anyone would.  All most of them are doing is boosting their post counts for some reason.  They should stick to answering questions in their own states and then they won't say really things like look at Realtor.com when that is not a good thing to do here.
  • June 03

Start communicating with a lender now so that you can do all the right things to be able to qualify when the time comes.  Determine which loan type you might wish to go for so that you know how much money to save.   Connect with a Realtor about 3 months before you are ready and they can start keeping an eye out for you. 
  • June 03

"Dorene probably doesn't realize this, because she is an out of state agent answering a local question."

lol And Kary probably doesn't realize that being condescending to other agents just makes him look bad. Live and learn.
  • June 03

Dorene probably doesn't realize this, because she is an out of state agent answering a local question.  Real estate is local.

Realtor.com, Trulia and even Zillow do not have all the active listings and some of the ones they do show are stale (pending, sold or expired).  To look for listings go to a broker site.  Those sites will have all the listings and be updated several times per day.
  • June 03

Houses for sale can be seen on www.realtor.com.
  • June 02

It is great you are being proactive with your plan!  This gives you plenty of time to explore financing when it comes to condominiums; some lenders do not offer as much flexibility on this type of property than others, or the specific property/ownership group/association often create hurdles for lenders.  This also gives you plenty of time to begin your research online in terms of the Realtor, Lender, and inspector that you are comfortable with, and offer you an education on the home/condo buying process.  If you need any reputable lender referrals, our team is happy to provide these to you and your family.  This is probably going to be the best "step 1" given your timeframe.  The nice thing about having access to so many listings online, you can really get a handle on the market pattern over the next few years....by the time the purchase is in front of you, there won't be any surprises.  That would be one of the reasons to begin contacting realtors as well - to really learn what exactly is involved in the buying process ( anticipated earnest money, inspection timeframes, protection clauses).  Please don't hesitate to contact our team should you need resources, and or questions answered.  Best of luck!
  • June 02

Now is as good of time as any to get connected to a Realtor.  Do a little research, ask friends, neighbors who they used, etc.,  Have a nice chat about what you are seeking down the road and get on their mailing list so you get up to date information on the market as you wait.  Today's market will most likely not resemble the market years from now.  It changes constantly.  Keeping abreast makes you a more qualified and educated buyer when the time comes.  Good agents have hundreds of people in their database and can manage all their clients or future clients really well as long as there is ongoing communication.
  • March 12

Talk to a local lender in Olympia that is familiar with condo financing and local issues.  The speed bumps in 5 years will be different, but learning what they are now will be helpful.  Some condo associations are not financeable with FHA or VA for odd reasons.  Some have management issues, capital fund issues, etc.

Next, consider being added to an agent's mail and email database, so they can become familiar with your needs.  I have clients I work with that are low needs buyers and sellers.  I am happy to have more contacts.  Our local MLS can auto send listings to you, if you only want to see condos, that's easy.  We can even send you updates for the solds, so you can gauge activity.

You are smart to plan for a purchase.  Good Luck. 

Profile picture for rodbutt48
I have a condo in moncks coner sc about 5yrs old fully furnished that is for sale at a good price. If your interested you can contact me at rodbutt48@hotmail.com, i live in pa and have old age problems is why i am selling .

Profile picture for nwhome.us
Choose a neighborhood or two where you'd like to live and set up Zillow Saved searches for them.

Connect with a mortgage broker who can help you understand what it will cost to get into one of those neighborhoods.

Get rid of the car and any other money pit and save for at least a 10% down payment.

Profile picture for daveskow
Keep job / get job Payoff .. Pay down debt Save money Make sure you will be able to qualify for whatever size loan you think you might need Don't miss making any payments Check credit once a year

Profile picture for MountJuliet
It appears that you're a planner.  I understand planning is key to reaching goals and wish others would plan ahead too.

Five years is a long time because condos have more moving pieces than other type properties.  The HOA makes a large difference.  Is the HOA on top of the maintenance?  Is the building fully funded for both repairs today and in the future?  Five years will show if the HOA is doing a good job.

If you're wanting to watch prices and not wanting someone to send you emails - even automated emails - I think watching Zillow from time to time is a good option.

Best,

Bob Sorey