Profile picture for ricon

I;am looking to replace all windows.

I;d like to get vinyl windows, also I need 2 french doors.

Any recommendation?(brand etc)
  • August 12 2010 - Arvada
  • 0

Profile picture for ABBAUSA
An update............my 1960 aluminum windows were simple windows and added no architectural feature to my home at all. I have another home ( a rent property ) and those windows are colonial in style. I would keep that style. The 1960 windows were upgraded in efficiency and style. Keep your style or upgrade. Again you will enjoy new windows.....!

James Callas - Realtor®

I completely agree with bookreader. If your house is older than about 1960, I would try to keep the original windows if they are in restorable shape. Storm windows will look nice and be non intrusive to the overall design. They are also likely to be less expensive than doing replacement windows throughout.

Profile picture for bookreader451
I have to agree with Ryan.  We have original windows on our 100 year old house.  We also have the tight fitting storms.  We did research and replacement windows would only save about $40.00/year and seriously detract from the home's value instead of adding to it.  My husband had to replace a broken pane of glass this weekend and he was shocked at the difference in glass thickness between the new pane and the one he took out.  This old house has some excellent information on replacement windows.  I would research before spending a lot of money that you may never get back.  Don't believe all the replacement window hype.  If you have a historical style home you get more value with the original features.

These are all great answers.  I just want to add one point.  There are a lot of great old homes out there and by replacing all the vintage windows with vinyl windows you may be seriously changing the period of the home.  You may consider trying to find replacement windows that match the originals.  I realize that a new wood framed window will cost more money but the beauty will last a lifetime.  Also consider the enviroment when selecting vinyl-petroleum based products.

Great info. James, I might add probably the best two manufactures of windows and doors that will increase the value of your home significantly is Anderson and Pella. Remembering Pella has a less expensive line at Lowes, and is not covered with the same warranty as the full blown better versions. If your in need for exterior painting, it is best to have windows installed first, and then thereby allowing trim boards to be caulked and then painted for a complete and thorough home improvement addition.

Profile picture for ABBAUSA

This is a home improvement project you will love and be so glad you did.
Be sure to consider adding Argon gas to the space between the panes. The sound deadening will be worth the extra investment. Here in South-East Texas double pane is perfect, but up in Arvada triple pane may be a better fit. My vinyl windows have survived hurricane Ike and I truly enjoy them.
I replaced old 1960 aluminum windows, I wish I would have done it sooner.
Also I removed my old windows and saved about $300. Don't do this if not experienced. I have since purchased more vinyl windows and have enjoyed all that I have installed. My original ones were from Alenco, but I have since purchased many other good brands.

James Callas - Realtor®