Profile picture for tiwoodhouse

I am looking to retire in about 10 years and want to buy land/home now.

I live in California but do not want to retire here. Any suggestions on a good cheap place to purchase land or home? Like Arizona but cant pick a city.  Open to all suggestions.
  • February 02 2014 - US
  • 0

Profile picture for tiwoodhouse
I like moderate temps. but will travel part of the year in a motorhome.  I do not mind trucking in water.
I like Arizona because of the large amount of Forest Land and State owned land.   I say cheap because my needs are very simple and modest I do not want a large house.  Ideally I want to live on 10 acres or so outside a small town, within an hour or two of a larger town.  I do not want to live in a subdivison, with neighbors right outside my window.

What is important to you?   Apparently "cheap" is, but surely there is more.

Do you like scalding hot summers, or do you prefer slightly more moderate temperatures?
Do you wish a city where you can buy groceries within 50 miles, or closer?
Do you want water service to your land, or do you prefer to truck it in?

There are dozens of things that may help someone narrow down your search.    And then, why do you like AZ?