I am selling my house & want to hire an agent to prepare & handle closing-what is the going rate?

• April 20 2014 - Cave Creek
  • 0

Profile picture for faridabadi
I would prefer an attorney since at this time it's about legal contract and paperwork

Profile picture for vinay toomu
Depending on the market you're in, you can find various options from flat-fee to a percentage of the Sale price. If the buyer has an agent, then the buyers agent may do a lot of the legwork for you once you've agreed on the purchase price. You do have to keep in mind that the buyer's agent will be working for the buyer and not you. I would suggest call agents in your area and ask them what they would be willing to accept.
Hope this helps!

Profile picture for Dunes ..
You do not need to pay a %..
Some Agents/Agencies do offer the Services you are describing for a Flat Fee..simple as that

In fact according to the National Association of Realtors 20% (1 out of 5) of Sellers only use limited Services for a Flat Fee (Listing on MLS or help with paperwork or closing or or or) and another 10% do not use an Agent/Agency at all
70% or 7 out of 10 Sellers do use Full Service but according to the Dept of Justice commissions for Full Service have been between 5%-5.5% for over 10 years and among that 70% you also have Agents/Agencies that offer Rebates ect..

Please check out this info from the Dept of Justice
Competing models of real estate brokerage

What are the laws in your state?

I'll close with an opinion...my opinion
When it comes to RE Services it is a BUYERS MARKET..lots and lots of Agents/Agencies competing for a limited amount of Business/Paychecks and the competition is FIERCE..just check out any RE Site or even this Thread ;)
Agents/Agencies push the Services they offer at the Price they wish/hope they will get...
THEY ARE SELLING/PROMOTING THEIR SERVICES AND PRICE...so shop and compare

MLS4Owners did a far better job than I providing a simple & understandable response so please read/consider their post......best of luck with your shopping

Profile picture for DavidK22
You have a buyer for your home, that changes things.  Is the buying getting a loan? The lender can help you complete the paperwork and make it really easy where it does cost you anything.  We handle transaction like this all of the time.  If the buyer is not getting a loan I'm sure you could hire a agent for 2%.

If you need some referrals on agents please reach out to me. 

Revisiting my request I don't think I stated my request clearly--I actually have a buyer and agreement--I would like to hire an agent to handle all the paperwork & closing.  First, is this feasible, second what would be appropriate fee, 1%, 2%...?

Profile picture for MLS4owners
There are many flat fee brokers that will help you for a flat fee. Each broker fees are different. Do some research and find one that works best for you. Make sure they are licensed in your state.
Good luck with the sale!
MLS4owners

Is your home already under contract or are you at the point of putting the home on the market?

Hello Mr or Mrs Seller.  David is correct, a 6% commission is typical in today's market here in Arizona.  Of course, that is split 50/50; 3% to a buyer's agent and 3% to your listing agent.

What will that 6% cover?  A full-service listing agent will market your property on multiple websites and different forms of print media, such as 'Just Listed' postcards to your neighborhood as well as a 'For Sale' sign in your yard.

You should also request a breakdown of how often your agent will communicate with you and his/her process with following-up with agents who show your home.  I've been able to put together some fantastic deals just by calling a buyer's agent who viewed the home and discussing their clients needs and wants and trying to match them to my listing.

In my opinion however, an agent is most valuable when it comes to negotiating and dealing with the buyer's agent and their lender at the beginning of the process and after contract acceptance.  That is where experience in the many loan programs that a buyer can utilize to finance their purchase is invaluable as well as dealing with problems with the agent, lender or title company can help keep a contract together.  If your agent can assist you in taking care of things such as potential FHA or VA issues that might arise due to certain conditions with your home, that can save you a TON of time and energy.

Following-up with the appraiser and home inspector is also critical.  Working closely with the buyer's agent and lender to deal with any potential problems with the appraisal (low value, repair requirements) and/or home inspection can be critical to saving a transaction that might otherwise fall apart with an inexperienced agent handling these tasks.  You don't want an agent that's afraid to confront these problems or issues.  An agent is serving your needs best when he/she handles problems quickly and efficiently with little or no loss of time or money.  There's rarely an issue that can't be handled through a combination of effective communication and savvy problem solving skills that a good listing agent can bring to the table.

Feel free to contact me through my profile if you'd like an honest and straight-forward approach to analyzing your home's value and listing it for sale.  One of the most important items an agent can provide is a market analysis of your home in today's market and give you a realistic price and time frame in which it can sell.

Thanks for the question!

Jim Mitchell
Realty ONE Group

Profile picture for DavidK22
6% of the sales price if you want a great real estate agent. not all agents will market your home the right way. If you want a great agent I know them all over the valley that will make sure you're protected, but they will sell your home for the top dollar. Also if your looking to purchase another home most agent will discount there fee if you buy and sell with them. Have a blessed Easter.