I am trying to get a sense of the value of our home and studios in unusual setting. No comparables.

Can I do this through Zillow? 13 Norman Rd. Ashfield, MA
6500 sq ft, 3 buildings, all finished and modern interiors 
4 bath, 4 bed, 
50 plus secluded southern facing solar sight with view. 
pond and pond house. 8 acres of fields.
  • July 29 2013 - Ashfield
  • 0

Profile picture for Brad Pratt
I would just hire a bank appraiser so that you would know the bottom line as to the number the bank is willing to finance.

Thank you all for responding. All good information. OK, I do know a good real estate person in my neighborhood. I will ask him. Guess I have to pay an appraiser. Very few sales ever in our neighborhood.

Profile picture for edboner

There are a number of ways to reach a best value.  At the end of the day, if there are no comparable sales for a residential property, you may have a difficult time financing.  This does not mean you cannot sell...it simply means you may end up financing, selling for cash...trade or another creative sales solution. 

If you want to get a general range, you might look at a rent multiplier for smaller properties....  Something this size...you might start with an average price per acre, then look at cost for improvements to the site and cost of construction.  This may not be realistic in today's market, but should give you a general idea of top.  Your site might be unique or special in some way.  I would look for an agent familiar with the area for advice. 

The market sets the value...btw. 

The only way to get a real value is to higher a bank appraiser. This way you will know what the home can be financed for. Call me and I can provide you with a number

Zillow does allow you to see homes in your area that have sold but it sounds like your home is pretty complex. The best way to go about finding the best comparable sales that have sold within your market that are the most comparable to your home would be to call a local agent or appraiser. I would say that an agent will be more willing to help you with information to show you all the closed sales that are the most comparable to your home but make sure that they send you closed sales to view not just active and pending listings. An appraiser will look at closed sales and make adjustments for the differences in order to estimate the market value of your home.