I cannot get an accurate estimate by my own research

We are selling and I cannot get an accurate comparison for an appraisal. All the house that are compared to this, do not compare. We are direct waterfront, 7,000 sq. ft of land, private beach, deep water mooring...nothing adds this into the price. This neighborhood does not sell houses often, because of the waterfront, so comparisons are just not accurate.
  • September 19 2012 - Hull

Profile picture for blue screen exile
I'll let the original poster make their own decision about how useful information is posted 2 months after the question was asked, and about bickering over who is nice "begging" for referral fees for doing no work and providing no CMA's nor comparables on the thread where requested.  My "job" is neither to "be nice" nor to promote selected members of NAR.

Personally, I'm more concerned about potential consumers, but when a poster never comes back after asking their question, it appears they either may have given up or sought out other reference sources.

If one is looking for an agent in a selected area, Zillow does have a directory.  The link is at the top of the page.  And personally, I would click on their profile and look at the content of what they contributed on the forum, to see if they pay attention to details or not.

Profile picture for Lisa Jonz
If finding true comparables is a difficulty, you may need to go a little further out of the area to find them.  This is not typically advisable, but it sounds as if you do not have a typical property.  First and foremost, I would suggest you contact 3 agents in your market area  to get their perspective of your market and the value of your home.  Pay close attention to the properties they are using as comparables.  If you feel you are getting a just valuation, you may choose to proceed with the agent you felt best represented him/her self and will be represent you and your property in the transaction.  I believe it would be advisable to follow up these agent visits with an appraisal as well.  This could aid you in the marketing and sale of the home.  It could also provide some peace of mind.  Do not use an AVM -- Automated market values will not paint an accurate picture.  Find an appraiser who knows the area and seems to have an open mind (an open ears)

Pasadenan posted a not so kind response to my post below.

(All you have to do is contact me to sell your home. I will make sure you have all the information you need to price and sell your property. If you were going to have surgery would you do it yourself or would you use a professional? )

Not very proffesional at all. I guess this person does not understand referals.I stated I would make sure you had all you needed to price and sell your home. I would simply refer you to one of our proffesionals in your area. Keller Williams is the second largest Real Estate company in the United States. That is what a proffesional does, we do everything we can to help our clients. Please see my reviews from past clients.

Profile picture for blue screen exile
14 homes indicates as "recently sold" in Hull, with "water front" keyword:
HULL recently sold

Ranging in sold price from $176k to $925k.

(None indicated with keyword search for "private beach")

If one chooses to call Realtors, make sure they are local to your area, and are licensed in your state.  And personally, I would pre-screen them on a number of items, including how they respond on websites like this one.

Profile picture for blue screen exile
James is a Realtor in Florida, and he states he "WILL" sell a home for you in Massachusetts?

And he intentionally violates the "good neighbor policy"  and the "terms of use" on the website?

I think that means he doesn't read very well, or doesn't pay attention to details.

I think that makes him "not very professional", which probably means it is like going to a Dentist to get an upper GI.

Presently 10 homes listed for sale in HULL that indicate "water front" with a keyword search.  HULL MA water front homes.
Ranging in listing price from $449k to $1.7M.

All you need to do is contact 2 or 3 realtors in your area to interview and let them show you comps and what they think your home will sell for. Becareful some agents will tell you an overly high figure just to get the listing and then after a month want you to reduce the listing price.

All you have to do is contact me to sell your home. I will make sure you have all the information you need to price and sell your property.  If you were going to have surgery would you do it yourself or would you use a professional? 

[Promotion removed by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy.]

Sincerely

Jim Grice
Keller Williams Realty
[phone removed by Zillow moderator]

Profile picture for blue screen exile
If you changed details on the home, it will take about 2 months to be reflected in the Zestimates.  Read Zillow's FAQ: "what is a Zestimate".

You are not going to get an "appraisal" from any "free" estimating websites.  If you need an appraisal quality estimate, you likely will need to pay a local licensed professional for that.

As far as "waterfront" goes, Zillow only factors that in based on the amount the property was last purchased for.  Changing the home details will make no difference on that item.

There are plenty of other free estimating sites that one can use, but none are very good at the high end of the market, due to insufficient sales data.  For example:

Realestate.com/homepricecheck

finestexpert.com

homes.com

Homesand.net

Eppraisal

realquest.com express

cyberhomes.com

trulia

chase

homegain

-----------------
Some of the other major players in the AVM industry are:
1) Fiserv, Inc. ("Fiserv")
2) IntelliReal, LLC ("IntelliReal")
3) Interthinx, Inc. ("Interthinx")
4) Lender Processing Services, Inc. ("LPS")
5) Precision Appraisal Services, Inc. ("Precision Appraisal")
6) Real Data, Inc. ("RDI")
7) RealEC Technologies, Inc. ("RealEC")
8) First American Core Logic
9) American Flood Research, Inc. ("AFR")
10) Electronic Appraiser, Inc.  ("Electronic Appraiser")
11) Espiel, Inc. ("Espiel")

Profile picture for hpvanc
It sounds like you will have a difficult property to appraise.  Zestimates do not work well for larger lots, views, or high end properties in general.  Agent CMA's have (or at least have had until the recent market beat them down some) a definite tendency to shoot for the moon on values.

If you are serious about selling, at least consider paying for a professional appraisal (which may be complex and expensive in your case).  I would seriously consider one personally if I were selling, since it is the easiest and cheapest way to get a professionally unbiased 3rd party opinion.  It doesn't guarantee an accurate result but it is much more detailed than an AVM opinion, doesn't have the personal desires and biases that may color your own opinion of value, and doesn't have the skill variability and sales/marketing agenda that come with a CMA's.

You should contact a real estate professional to complete a market analysis for you. These are done free of charge. An appraisal which is a bit different from a market analysis can be done by hiring a real estate appraiser. The fee for that varies. Zestimates on Zillow are an excellent place to start but nothing compares to a professionals opinion of value. 

I hope this information helps.

All My Best,

Ginny Gilmartin

Thank you. I was able to edit in information about this house to see if the zestimate changes.

Selling your house is probably one of the greatest transactions you will be involved in.  It is very difficult to find the correct price as active listings will not always give you accurate information.  You really need to talk to three real estate professionals who have a solid track record.  They will not charge you for this information and you always still have the option to sell by yourself.  

Best of luck and take your time.