I;d like to buy a home in Fla for vacation every now & then but otherwise, for vacation rentals. Ne

I'd like to buy vacation home in Florida, mostly to rent out for vacationers.  I hear Ft. Myers area may still be affordable??

Is this a viable undertaking.  It'll have to pay the mortagage post 20% down on a hopefully still really affordable property (half hour from the water???).  Are there still any?? Thanks in advance.

• September 11 2013 - US

Thanks, thought it could be more viable than that. May start with a cheaper gated community setup by me or in Grand Island, Fla

Thanks!! Thought it could be more ciable than that!! NY certainly is!!

Profile picture for larryeul
Hello-
  I am not an agent in FL..or anywhere with a vacation rental market.
  My take on a vacation rental- dont. Invest close to where you live, fix, clean, paint, improve and rent out on yearly basis, hopefully 2-3 years at a time to a good tenant. Thats how you will make the money, slow but steady, pay off the mortgage at some point, thats when you will make your real money.
  Vacation rental- in FL, you prob have 4 months of top use, Dec-Mar...thats it. Investigate if you can make it work on 4 months rent. Prob not. And, if I was to want to vacation in FL, I want ON the water, beach, or something special...otherwise, Motel will work for me. Add weekly/monthly costs for cleaning, maintenance, utilities, etc.

I got a friend- they rent an Ocean Front condo, 3br, 2ba, overlooking the beach, multiple pools, etc.... great place, I got to go for a  week..anyway, they rent for 3 months, the best months, the rent basically pays for the condo fee, taxes, utilities...maybe the owner gets another monthly rental, maybe two months... money loser..owner stlll has mortgage payments for 12 months.

You will prob find if you buy, you will use, a few friends/family will use, not much if any rental income...

Best to you, I am waiting for the FL folks to give it to me now...