Profile picture for pinksandbaby

I did my track lighting lol

I k
now you were all sketchy on it, but here's the before and afters:
The black is blackboard paint for chalk, and the cork is obviously for notes/messages.  I may put some white molding on the top and bottom to frame out the cork.  I'm happy w/ the lighting, I think it works!

January 11 2009 - Mobile

Profile picture for pinksandbaby
I agree w/ just about everything you said J Steinberg.  The shelf w/ pegs is a distressed flat, white finish, so I was thinking of mimicking that in the molding, and yes, crown.  I don't think I'll be painting the ceiling because it's cheesy :o(  Not the idea, the ceiling, lol!  The WHOLE HOUSE needs to have the ceilings scraped, but w/ 4 small kids I just can't deal w/ that right now.  When we have them done, I'll consider that idea for sure.

Thanks for your input!

Oh, and yes I Love the chalkboard paint.  I did in our old house in the boys bedroom and surrounded it w/ white crown molding.  I turned a piece upside down to make a chalk tray.  They loved it (playing school and leaves messages to each other).  It's very functional for a kitchen too I think.

It does look better than most track lighting, I'll give you that! You chose a nice fixture for your space. As well as your moulding above/below the cork tiles (which I think you should do stain grade oak instead of white. The white may stick out like a sore thumb against the black, green and oak, unless you also do white crown, possibly?), you should consider painting your ceiling. Not a huge color- but something light to finish it out. Possibly a celedon that works with the current green. I am a fan of the painted ceiling- it just finishes everything off. 

Good job- nice before and after. Did you put it on dueling digs?! How did you like the chalkboard paint? Did it take well?

Profile picture for pinksandbaby
Ummm thanks? Scott? lol jk!  I agree though, that green is not for a bedroom.  I chose it because it may be my kitchen color w/ white wainscott.  I think I will LOVE that.  Again, oak trim, doors, floors in the kitchen.  The white wainscott would take up 3/4 of the wall approx, so it wouldn't be overpowering green.  Also, the kitchen is full of light, so it'll be very bright and cheery :o)  Like me :o)  lmao

for the record in one of my previous houses the master bedroom was that exact color green as an accent wall.  I hated it on a 20 by 15 wall  but it looks great in small amounts and with the warm color of the wood I think it works perfect.

yes pinks that was a compliment.  YW

Profile picture for mina36
Cool !!! I like it.

Profile picture for pinksandbaby
Wow Brian... that was *some* response lol!  Thanks very much!  What do you think of framing out the cork w/ molding?  White? Oak?

The green btw is Eddie Bauer "Apple Green"  (valspar, Home Depot)  And yes, I am very eclectic... a Gemini you know.... lol

I dig it.  The green you chose is awesome.  Feels very warm and the cork texture against the slick black is nice.  Well done.  Varied and eclectic but not chaotic.

It turned out really nice pinks! It is jazzy, gives directional light and really updates the space. I actually have a light that is very similar in my home office. I bet your little ones will like making that cork space their art gallery too. I know mine would.

Profile picture for pinksandbaby
Scott, the better to pop you with my dear.... ;o)

for the record  I happen to the like color of the wood.

Pink's thats a giant cork you have.

Profile picture for pinksandbaby
Meany.  The WHOLE house has oak moldings/doors/woodwork.  I can't paint any of it.  Once i do one room I'll have to do it all.... no thanks!  I'm working WITH it.  I think it makes the house more unique anyway ;oP

Profile picture for Mr Caveat
have you considered stripping the doors and staining them a nice blond or honey oak?

still seems dark to me^_)^