Profile picture for buyerinneed

I don't understand how to read approximate measurments of a property.

Our short-sale house finally closed on friday after 5 months! We looked at it thursday night, the house closed on friday and saturday we found the neighbor had tore down a wood patio we thought was part of our property (the neighbor house is vacant, for sale and the patio is in pieces in their back yard). My realtor is going to check in on it on monday and we will check with city hall. Meanwhile I am trying understand the approx. measurements I have found on one web site. Our house measures approx. 50X125 and the neighbors measures 44X26X25X126. Does this mean they have a double lot? Does it mean the property is uneven? Is anyone familiar with these measurements? Thank you very much in advance.
  • May 15 2010 - Pontiac
  • 0

Locally, the four dimensions make sense. The first dimension is the distance across the front of the lot, the second dimension is across the back, the third is the right side and the fourth is the left side.

Properly entered on the mls, your lot might be 50 x 50 x 125 x 125. 

If you send me your address, I might be able to look up your property on the plat maps and fax you a copy. The program does not allow copies to be e-mailed. 

I agree with NWHome, a survey may be required.

Profile picture for nwhome.us
It sounds as though you might be in for a survey of at least one of the property lines (between the two properties). 
No, the 4 dimensions don't make any sense.  Even if they did where is the actual corner of the property on the ground.  Without a survey stake you are guessing.