Profile picture for tonilea49

I had an FHA loan and foreclosed in 2009. Can I apply for a home loan either FHA or conventional?

I want to know if it is worth applying for a home loan now cause I've heard you have to wait 7 years from the date the deed shows.
  • February 26 2014 - Tempe
  • 0

With FHA financing you only have to wait 3 years from the foreclosure. With that loan that foreclosure since it was FHA we must also check the CAVIERS ( this is when the mortgage insurance actually paid the claim) to make sure that has been 3 years also. Most of the time the CAVIERS is cleared within a few weeks of the actual foreclosure, however I just ran in to one that wasn't paid off for almost a year. Call me to discuss. David Kester 602-628-6500

You should speak with a lender as soon as possible!  A lender will be able to help you with the specifics about your scenario.  I have a lender that my clients have used in the past that does a great job and I can send you his information if you would like. 

You definitely do not have to wait 7 years.  As a lender, I know that programs allow 1 year out of Foreclosure, Bankruptcy and Short Sales with as little as 3.5% down and in some cases $0 down.  A competent lender would be able to go over scenario options with you and guide you into the proper program that fits your situation.  Once you consultant with a lender, you will at least have piece of mind in knowing where you stand and what steps need to be taken to own a home again.

Good news is that you do not have to wait 7 years.  FHA allows you to purchase after 3 years.  Looks like you are in Tempe.  If you want to stay in Tempe they also offer down payment assistance to help you buy based on income qualifications.  I have done this recently with a buyer who was approved for 30k in assistance in Tempe.  Please contact me through Zillow if you would like more information about this program

Based on the new FHA guidelines there is a possibility.