Profile picture for ccampos213

I hate Real Estate Agents

Most not all real estate agents think they have some sort of power over the first time home buyer. I have had contact with many agents all have given me the run around. I found one Milton Limon in South Gate. Fist offer we worked on took 3 weeks to get him to return my calls. I called the listing agent only to find out  the property was all ready in escrow. I should have learned my lesson. We submited an offer on another house this was on 06-11. Again no answer for several weeks. Finally yesterday I called the listing agent and again a cash offer had been accepted 2 days earlier. Fool once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.
I post this here because I found this guys info on here. I dont know if these are grounds for a complaint. If I can I wll.
  • July 03 2009 - Los Angeles
  • 5

• This thread is currently closed for responses.

Profile picture for pivolover
    You agents all sound the same...dilute the message until nothing left.

I find it amazing that all of you have to come on a site that is in direct opposition to your best interests and convince the herd of your value and 
    just 'give me a try please, I'm different' only to find out to late that you're not.

It's the nature of your business to serve yourselves FIRST...if you deny that 
    you're liars.....

And folks, you don't have to deal with anybody...get a real job doing something besides covering your brethrens backsides...it just provces the point.

Profile picture for Blue Nile
    "Before you comment on a question or post read the date."  -

If anyone bothered to actually read the posts; the person that "resurrected" the thread last year is the Real Estate Agent that was being complained about!

That person has every right to resurrect the thread to provide their perspective.  It is not clear why he didn't see it when originally posted.

It is true that the original posted seems to be long gone (last posted in February 2010 looking for an agent, before the agent being complained about responded on this thread); but that doesn't address how the person that was being complained about felt.

Of course, my opinion is if the agent ignored it, no one would be reading how much someone accused him, possibly falsely.

And the person that resurrected it this year was just apparently stating their experience was similar, rather than starting a new thread with the identical topic.

(And most of the other posts since have been related to the recent posts).

Profile picture for Theodorere
    Everyone have its own perception your perception is right to some extent the reason is that there are number of uneducated agent who just want to earn money and nothing else..

Before you comment on a question or post read the date.This was posted in July 2009, almost two years ago. Read the good neighbor policy.

Profile picture for _first
    "...If you think real estate agents are bad you should see some of the buyers and sellers we have to deal with... "

This is the type of agent we hate. D-bags like this are the reason why some paying customers turn bad.

Unfortunately I find myself stating your TITLE numerous times.   However, like ALL industries, there are those that are stars and those that do not shine so well.  It is a lesson to those looking for representation to assist them in acquiring or disposing real estate.  It is hard to find the best of the best - but they are out there.  Some Companies even have 30 minute call back guarantees.

Lastly, you have the ability to file formal complaints against an Agent to their Broker or to the Department of Real Estate if you think the transgressions warrant.  I always encourage that people VOICE their concern so that we begin eliminating those that hurt the objectives of our industry more than they help. 

Good luck and I am sorry on behalf of our industry.

Profile picture for Blue Nile
    "...we have to deal with." -

1) You don't have to accept a client if you don't want to; you can recommend they find better representation.

2) If you don't like dealing with people; you could easily chose a different profession.

Oh my!  Attack those who write your paycheck!

If you think real estate agents are bad you should see some of the buyers and sellers we have to deal with.

You obviously had the wrong real estate agents.  There are so many good ones out there.  Your agent should explain what to expect in the buying process in detail and specific to your situation.  Your agent should keep you informed every step of the way whether there has been a response to your offer or not.  Next time, interview the agent, ask how he or she works and what you should expect from them in terms of communication. Good luck with your next agent.

Profile picture for _first
    "...Some of them they do not like to work on the  weekends..."

Is there any truth to this? Maybe agents don't return my calls because I call on Friday evenings. This is when my work week ends and my personal time begins. This is the perfect time for an agent to take advantage of me. By Sunday it's too late. I start to put my work face back on.

Oddly enough, my calls are never returned on weekends. On the bright side, their power trip is saving me a lot of money. F them, lol.

I don't know this agent but this seems somewhat unusual.  Agents work on commission.  It is to their benefit and responsibility to respond to clients and stay on top of any transaction they are working on.

There are many agents out there who love to work with buyers.  Communication is essential.  Your agent should respond to you in a timely manner.  Most do.

If it was really three weeks, then that was too long.  If it was a bank owned sale, it can take up to a week to hear back but a quick email from your agent is always the polite and professional thing to do.

Profile picture for tai pham
    There are some good real estate agents& others are bad. It is hard to find good ones.Some of them they do not like to work on the  weekends may be they get commission too much. I have good one what he does is opening the property & writes offer for me. He keeps 1% & i keep the rest for my closing costs,but i find the property myself.Do you know that if the listing agent sell the house by himself,he gets all commission is that sweet to be real estate agent. Some country like Canada,you can see a lot of houses for sale by owner.I like that idea because both buyer & seller save  a lot of money.What both sides do is take real estate bill of sale to the lawyers,they will take care of everything from A to Z

Agents are Brokers just like in Wall Street. We have some good and bad ones but they're big part of our ECONOMY. I have met some real bad Agents, but it told me I need to learn more about it. Many times when I would work for them and Mortgage Borkers the Mortgage Company would lose deals because of the Agents.They never truned there back on the process. There are many grate people out there and companies. Alot of the Mortgage Companies now have Real Estate Agents in there office for a higher closing ratio. Have more option. 

No all agents are bad. The best way to find a Real Estate professional is through a referral. Good Luck!

Unfortunately some agents should not be agents. My advice would be to interview a few agents and make sure you have one that will serve your needs. Talk to people you know and get referrals, then sit down with a couple agents and interview them. A little time spent doing some upfront work to make sure you have the best person representing you will save alot of headaches.

It is very rare to have an answer back within 24 hours on any offer being submitted. I would expect an answer back in no less than three days minimum. The market is changing so trends will be adjusting once again...

Profile picture for JeffreyBowen
    I am confused.

How did you submit the offer?

By fax, email or did you deliver it by hand?

Did you use a buyer's agent?

If not, why not? They would have made sure your offer got there and you would have had an answer within 24 hours.

I don't know any agent that would not respond to an offer even if it was in escrow. If they did not respond they were probably an REO or Bank Realtor and they are overloaded with business right now and they don't care or are too busy too.

better luck next time and use a good buyer's agent.

Jeff

July of 2009?

Anyhow, you can go as a member of the public to the board of Realtors that he is a member of and file a grievance. You probably will not really get anywhere with it unless there were damages, but you may get the satisfaction to get your voice heard.

Not sure what your finances were and what type, competing in this market against cash buyers frustrates everyone who is trying to compete against them.

There really isn't an excuse for not keeping in touch with you at least maybe twice a week, in my opinion.

Good luck to you, I hope you are able to find an agent that meets your needs. If nothing else, posting here is a great education for agents to know what buyers and sellers are thinking so they don't repeat the same.

Realtors have been stereotyped for a reason!

It's sad to say, but there are still more "bad" realtors out there than there are "good" ones - even in the wake of the economic recession that paralyzed the housing market circa 2006 - 2007. 

Although we've all been taught from the same handbooks & training manuals there are a lot of real estate agents that work outside the boundaries of our legal and ethical code of professional standards. 

Next time (if there is a next time...) be sure to find a N.A.R certified Realtor. Try finding an agent through a local multiple listing service, or reputable local agency or franchise. 

... Zillow may be great place for correspondence & advice, but it's probably best to find a certified, accredited, accomplished local Realtor - who's been recognized or acknowledged for their superior work in your community! Call your local board of Realtors for more information... 

Wow, that's harsh. You had a bad experience. You should interview a few agents, find one you are comfortable with and work with that person. Most agents work very hard including many nights and weekends. SInce we are working for our clients and don't make a dime until they close on a house I can't imagine why any agent wouldn't work to get your offer accepted and closed.

Sorry to hear about your difficulties. Some agents out there ruin the reputation for us all.

agents are just people. some people get along with certain people better

This is news to me...i'm Milton and I don't recall working with any first time buyer around that time. My focus are investors, and in June we we're in the Downey branch of A.B.S. If you feel so strongly against me, call me and I'll be happy to discuss any questions you may have, my contact info is still the same, but like a mentioned, i didn't work with any first time buyer in May, June, July, or August of last year.

There are great real estate agents. I know, I read it, ha ha.
    The postings by Sunnyview are correct and insightful.
    wetdawgs is right.
    The time and effort you spend locating a best agent is probably the most important part of your transaction(s). I'm sorry you've had a sequence of bad experiences. Do you remember what a hassle it is to find a good mechanic?

Don't give up.

If you have a problem with a specific real estate agent drect your issues at that person not real estate agents in general. Every person is an individual there are good and bad in every bunch. I understand your frustration I have been there also. I would suggest your first line of complaint be to the broker in charge of the agent that gave you hell. His broker has over 100 salespeople in his fold he may be unable to supervise them the way this one needs to be supervised.Second you have to be proactive in this environment and hold those you are working with accountable. If your calls are not returned in 48 hours I would no longer be doing business with that person. Good Luck

Thumbs up for listening to your gut. As a first time buyer, you are still the buyer. You deserve an agent that is good. Dump the zero agent and get yourself a hero agent. No matter what you have to be willing to trust yourself more than you trust any professional. That can be scary, but at the core you know what is best for you if you are honest with yourself. I completely agree that if an agent or a decision about a house feels wrong it is. When I don't listen to my gut, I get into trouble.

Like every industry and every group of people there are good ones and there are bad ones.  The problem here is that we are dealing with a very emotional and scary time in peoples lives.  It can be fun and exciting or it can, quite frankly, suck.

I have been on both ends as a consumer, lender and agent.  I grew up in the industry from the age of 7 with family businesses and have a college degree and alot of experience, but what does it take to get a real estate license?  In the most basic terms the answer is...a week and a half of class and a state exam.

I'm sorry, but that does not constitute the ability to write and negotiate contracts, be a marketing expert, a lending expert, an appraising expert, etc, etc.  You get the point

All consumers need to listen to their gut...if it feels funny it is.  Find an agent you can trust.  Interview them about their experience.  They don't have to have a long list of sales to be good.  They have to understand the process, have experience, have common sense and genuinely care about you.

Don't be a victim.  Take control and demand answers.  If they don't return your phone call, run.  That's NEVER a good sign.

Not all agents are good or do the right thing while others are terrific. I would tell you to complain about the bad ones, but truthfully it usually isn't worth your time or energy. Complaints against agents/realtors have to almost rise to the level being high on drugs or physically abusive to their own clients to have their license infringed upon. As a first time buyer, some agents will not trust you to make your own decision and others will want to lead you to what they feel is the "right decision" in their mind. A good agent will not do that. They should want what you want and do their best to inform you of things that might help you that you might not know to ask, make suggestions about what types of houses might have the best potential to fit your needs within your range and give you all the information that you want or need to make a solid decision for yourself. If your agent is not doing this or is treating you like they know best over what you want, dump them. There are good agents out there, but there are a lot of marginal ones too. Zillow is great place to meet agents in your area and watch them on the board over time. I like open houses too. If I don't like them agent, I never call them and never leave my info on their sign in list so they can't call me.

You can always post questions here and read other posters perspectives/information. It can expand your knowledge in a place where no one one is pushing you towards anything before you decide what you want. An educated buyer first time is the best kind of buyer in my opinion. If you find an agent that doesn't agree with that, find an agent who will appreciate you as a smart first time buyer. Get as much information about buying as possible and find an agent that will work honestly and hard for you.

FYI...public information regarding the status of a listing is not always accurate...only in delving further with an agent that you are loyal to and who is helping you who also has the special tools will be able to see what is the exact status of the property and should share this information with you so that no one is wasting their time.