Profile picture for Ferg0190

I have a 1900's home & have several repairs w/ older carpet/cabinets loose windows, what ups value?

I have an older 1900's home & have several repairs that must be made w/ older carpet/kitchen cabinets, loose windows, etc. What would most improve the value of my home with having minimal repairs before selling (Under $2,000)? HELP there's many things that need "help" but not the budget to do it all.
  • September 10 2009 - Minneapolis
  • 0

As Benito points out there are repairs that HAVE to be made to comply with Minneapolis Truth in Housing. The inspections department or an agent who works in Minneapolis can give you a list of the most common repairs that need to be done to pass inspection.

My real estate practice is almost entirely in Minneapolis so I spend alot of time reading the online Truth in Housing reports. Many of the repairs are minor (smoke detectors, non siphoning devices on faucets). I had a home listed in Minneapolis where I did all the repairs myself just to see what was needed and how difficult the repairs would be (plus it was a friends house, so it was kinda fun).

So do the repairs that have to be made (and you actually want to do them before you get inspected otherwise there is a $75.00 reinspection fee which kind of burns when the only thing you had missing were smoke detectors) before you do the other work. Most often a fresh coat of paint does wonders towards updating an older home.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to email me. I might live in your neighborhood!

Good one, Benito!

Profile picture for bagnn
Hi, it will depend on the neighborhood. If the area has a lot of foreclosures or homes are not in good shape, maybe it does not make a difference since you don't have the money to fix it.
It has always been important to have the correct price. Request a Comparative Market Analysis (CMA) to see the comparables properties that are active, pending to close and closed on the last 6 months.
A CMA is not an appraisal and is not a Zetimate.

Also, City of Minneapolis requires a city inspection before setting he property on the market. Truth in Sale of Housing is called. This report will look for items around your property to be Repair or Replace. Once those items have been identified the seller does not have to fix them if the property is not sold. If the property it is sold, the seller could fix those items before closing and obtain a Certificate of approval or the buyer could sign a responsibility agreement.

If you are planning to list your house, I suggest making this one of the questions you ask local agents when you interview them.  Alternately, find out what local stagers charge for a Home Staging Consultation, or Informal Staging Plan.  On my website, in the science and art of staging, I offer lots of advice on preparing a house for sale - feel free to look around there.  And run some internet searches because many other stagers offer valuable advice on their websites.

Now, in general, improving the look and functionality of kitchens and bathrooms rates very high in helping a house to sell.  So does refreshing/painting walls in neutral colors.  The color visualizer on Sherwin Williams' site offers a beautiful range of 'neutral' colors.  Replacing or painting the knobs, handles, and hinges is an inexpensive way to improve the look of many kitchen and baths.

Decluttering, depersonalizing, neutralizing, and cleaning cleaning cleaning inside and out always helps.

If you can post pictures, there are many people here who will gladly offer more specific suggestions.