Profile picture for click2you

I have a home for sale. Are there any agents out there that offer free staging with their service?

My home (currently empty) just came off the mls with Windermere. It has been listed with 3 different agents for months. We kept lowering the price, no bites, and we feel that the home must need to be staged, but we don't have the bucks to stage it. It is a 3bd 1bath in West Seattle, Arbor Heights. I have pictures that i can send. I think the only way it is going to sell is to be staged. I took some of my furniture from storage and staged the living room, but nothing else. Any ideas?

February 27 2010 - Arbor Heights

I am a firm believer in staging and do provide free staging for my listings, provided I have the furniture in my inventory. The other piece of the puzzle however, is price. This is a funny market and without seeing your house it is hard for me to know for sure what the issue might be. I'd be happy to offer whatever insite I can. Feel free to give me a call, I'd be happy to help.

Staging is only a part of the selling process, marketing your property (online, video, etc) with it priced right is the most important.  I can help if you would like me to explain further.

Jack 

Yes you can find some that will do it for free. However, you get what you pay for. To find a truly good home stager you should hire a professional stager or decorater in your area. Their are some exceptions but I would ask for credentials from the agent claiming to be a home stager.

Not all agents are stagers and not all stagers are agents.

yes there are some that will.

Hello! There are SEVERAL listing agents from my office that stage their own listings, and own their own staging supplies to be able to do a full staging of your home. Swing by our office in the Junction (4526 California Ave SW) anytime and ask for the Broker (Doug Baldwin) who can help you find a listing agent that will fit your needs. Good luck! Leah

Hi click2you,

We hire a professional stager that we work with that will work with you and your current furniture and we do bring(or remove)  additional items as suggested by the stager.

Have you been receiving negative feedback from showings in the past saying the house needed to be staged?  Or did they not like your configuration in the living room as you had it?

yes, it is an added value when listing with me.

"Staging" doesn't necessarily mean big pieces of furniture.  You can make a nice presentation with towels, soap, candles, a few rugs, and other items that do not include furniture.  It could be that rooms need to be painted, etc.  I'm in North Carolina, so I won't be much help to you as a listing agent, but I'm happy to look at your pictures and offer some suggestions.  Just post them and send me a link!

Jennifer

I too would be interested to hear the feedback that you have gotten from different agents on the home.  Staging definitely is a plus, but it really depends on where you are at price wise & what steps have been taken to market your home.  If you stage a home that is way overpriced, all you have is a great looking over priced home & buyers can see through that.  Have your agents taken you around to look at comparable homes in your market?  You need to get inside the mind of the consumer & know that buyers will be going to look at 5-6 houses on average (actually lately I personally believe that number has gone up to 9-10) so you have to be the best home in that price range.  If you go into 5 homes similarily priced & you wouldn't choose your home then no one else will either.

For my clients I offer a free 1-2 hour consultation with stagers & they are able to give you a lot of tips & ideas on how to do economical fixes yourself.  They will rate your home on all aspects on a scale of 1-10 & then give you ideas to improve each area that are important for the home to show well.  Depending on the situation, if you decide to use their services to stage your home, there may be options that we could work out if you don't have cash to pay for it.

I'd be glad to give you an opinion & am right here in West Seattle.  I also have an agent that I could refer you to that is a professional stager & since she has tremendous abilities herself, she may be able to help you out.  Feel free to contact me if you'd like.  Otherwise, good luck- it can be a tough market right now.

February 27 2010
What feedback are you getting from agents and and potential purchasers?   Is this the feedback that suggests that staging will be a help?

There are many things you can do yourself for little to no cost, NWhomes has given you a good start.  

Do you have a trusted friend or family member who will walk through with you and be brutally honest?

Two of the biggest issues I had with Seattle houses when looking was darkness and noise - proximity to freeway.   Are either of those issues for your home?

Have your agents done good CMAs so you know your price is competitive?

The only agent I know who does staging (and has her staging credentials) isn't in Seattle. 

February 27 2010

There are lots of stagers who will use your own furniture and augment it where necessary.
I'd recommend doing the kitchen and bath.  What does a queen size bed look like in the master?
What is the street appeal like?  Is the garden clean?  Are there flowers coming up?  Is the entry walk clean with no broken concrete, or what ever your walk is made of?
Have you painted the interior or exterior?
Are the windows spotless?
Are the appliances clean, inside and out?
If you hadn't told us it is vacant, I would have said: post the address.
Get pictures professionally done.  The $200 pays for itself.  There is NOTHING WORSE than dark photos showing nothing.  Don't take the pictures until it is fully staged!

February 27 2010
I specialize in staging and preparing property to show well. I am too far away to give you a hand but here is a little advice on some key points.

The most important thing we have learned is to identify the best 1 to 3  features or attributes of a property and do your best to enhance them. It may be a view, your yard, a patio, or whatever. You would be surprised how effective this is in diminishing any negatives you may have going on.

Put on a buyers hat and walk up to your home from the street and into it like it was the first time you have ever seen it. Honestly ask yourself if it is appealing and what can you do within budget to make it look better. Inexpensive things like pressure washing, landscape clean up, painting the front door and maybe new hardware are the # 1 things we do.

Maybe taking a look at http://www.southerncoastrealty.com/seller-services.html will give you some ideas. Good luck!

February 27 2010