Profile picture for bike380

I have a legal Granny unit attached to my Garage. It was give heating and air conditioning approval

It is classified as an Auxilary building. It is 300 square feet and cost $150,000 to build 10 years ago. It has a full bathroom and a studio type living set up.Can I add this square footage and bathroom to my building size on zillow or if not is there any way to get credit this unit on my property valuation  

October 16 2010 - Menlo Park

I feel that you can list the additional square feet, however I also feel that you should disclose that additional 300 square feet of living area is located in auxiliary apartment in separate building.

Cheers,

Lenny Rowe, Boston Connect Real Estate Services, Pembroke, MA

When I post listings on zillow I enter them myself this helps me to control the data entered, this is also true of the MLS. Living sq ft should include all the sq ft. that is lived in if it is permitted.

Adding the 300 square feet plus bathroom the square footage of the main home would be very misleading.  One of the components of definitions of house square footage tends to include the phrase " continguous space" (i.e. one doesn't have to go outside or through unfinished space to get to it). 

As your property with Granny unit is outside Zillow's model, I'd simply describe it in the comment section.  Another point for potential buyer is whether or not it is a legal unit for renting, a real plus in MP.

Another (or additional) approach if you are planning to sell is to get a formal appraisal just before putting it on the market and include that value in the comment section.

It is heated and aired living space. I would clarify the size of the main home from the inlaw apartment in the remarks.