Profile picture for angeleyezz

I have a realtor, but I found a " For Sale By Owner" property that I'm really interested in .

Hi !

I've been working with a realtor for a couple of weeks now, he did show me a few houses and has been very valuable in my home search so far. But I've found this FSBO home that meets all of my requirments to a T, what do I do with the realtor now ? I want him though the negotiation process and do not want him to leave empty handed after the process, can I get the seller to pay him his normal commission ? Please advise !
  • July 17 2014 - Mendham Township
  • 0

Profile picture for theGGRE
Your scenario happens every now and then..... your loyalty and showing appreciation to your Realtor is applauded! 

Inform your Realtor and have him approach the FSBO.  Most FSBO will entertain a one-time showing agreement and negogiate a commission with the selling broker; if not, you, as the buyer can negogiate a commission or a flat fee with your Realtor.  My philosphy is that I want you, your family and your friends as clients for "life," not just a one-sale client - -so, tell the Realtor this is what YOU want and I think your Realtor would go the extra mile for you!

If you have a realtor and saw a house for sale by owner, I highly recommend you use your realtor. It's a service offered to buyers at no cost! It can protect you and save you from a lot of headache.  For Sale By Owners always pay commission to the buyer's agent if the buyer states they have an agent. It's a must to have representation. Always consult with your realtor, after all, they were there for you when you needed them, let the realtor handle the FSBO and submit an offer. You will be in a much better position to let a professional you!

Profile picture for hpvanc
There is nothing saying a buyer can't compensate their own agent, if you want to use them and the seller probably doesn't want to compensate a sales person. I would try to work it out as a professional services fee rather than a sales commission, in this case they aren't being asked to sell anything.

Hello!  First of all, I commend you for appreciating the work your Realtor has already done for you and you are wise to want that expert representation when entering into a purchase agreement on a home.  A little known fact is that the vast majority of home transactions in which a Realtor is not involved never make it to the closing table. Additionally, there may be seller's disclosures or other documentation that has not been completed by a seller not knowing the local requirements.  It would be to the benefit of all parties to have an experienced, transaction competent agent bringing all the parties together to a successful closing.  And as my other colleagues have mentioned, many FSBO sellers are willing to compensate an agent who brings them a well qualified buyer. 
I wish you all the best in your endeavor!!

Warmly,
Carey Light

I would agree with Monica. The Realtor has invested the time and will continue to do so. You will immensely benefit from his experience and knowledge.

Having the Realtor will also keep things professional. Mostly sellers are possessive about their homes and find their homes as reflection of themselves. There is a thin line that Realtors have to walk. That's something that your Realtor will do for you.

It is a big purchase; you would appreciate the support. 

If you have signed a Buyer Agency Agreement with your Realtor then the agreement may already cover For Sale By Owner situations, that's the first place to check.
When you are interested in a FSBO that's when you are most at need of expert guidance by an experienced Realtor.  Let your Realtor have the contact details of the owner so he/she can set up an appointment with the seller to view the home with you and also get the seller to agree to pay your buyer agent's commission. In my experience, most FSBO's are willing to pay a buyer agent's commission.  If the FSBO was advertised as "Brokers Protected" or some similar wording, then the seller is stating upfront that he/she is willing to pay the commission of a buyer agent.
Good luck.  I hope it works out.

Most for sale by owners are more than willing to pay an agent if they bring them a buyer.  Have your agent call the owner directly and ask if they will cooperate and arrange for a showing.  

I would let your realtor know that you're interested in the fsbo property, and let them sort out an agreement (regarding the commission) with the seller.  Most fsbo's will make things work with a realtor who has a buyer for their property.