Profile picture for sera kehay

I have a roommate who's not on the lease. Should I report her rent $ as my income?

I live on the BMR unit in California. Since I have an extra room, I am renting it out to someone. 

Do I need to report her as my income as she's helping out with paying rent? I am afraid to report her as my income as she's not on the lease (technically she can't really live in this unit)
  • September 27 2013 - Santa Clara
  • 0

Profile picture for sera kehay
she's okay to move out anytime. I play 'landlord' in this situation.
should I ask her cash for rent?? 

I personally would just leave it alone until I was asked or prompted for an answer about it.
We have a saying here in the country, ' Let sleeping dogs lie' it helps to remember that in situations that doesn't require attention.

If you are afraid that whoever your landlord is would be upset then you may have to , here some would and some would welcome the extra person specially if they were a good person.

You mentioned that she really cant live there, reporting it would mean she might have to move...right?
I'm sure probably there in CA that its a liability issue and probably would mean she would have to go.
If I cared about her I would simply find some place else where it was ok an move.
-Joseph-