I have a townhouse I want to move from but it is worth about 30k less than what i owe. What are my b

I have a townhouse I want to move from but it is worth about 30k less than what i owe. What are my best options other than renting it out to free up that income to purchase a better home?

September 25 2013 - Decatur

Refinance it - if you're eligible.  Hopefully a lender will see this post and comment on it.

Aside from that, why not rent it?  It gives you the chance to recoup some of the loss as well as the potential for it to appreciate in value during the rental period(s).

Outside of the previous suggestions, the only other option will be to do a short sale on the property.  With a short sale, the bank will accept the current market value as the full settlement of the obligation.

If your monthly payment is close to or slightly higher than current rents you may be able to lease your house with the option to buy.  You could find someone to lease your house for a number of years.  At the end of the option they buy the house for the balance of the loan at that time.   They are responsible for all repairs on the house.

People throw short sale out as a solution without understanding what they are all about.

You have to prove to the bank you cannot afford your current payment due to some unforeseen calamity such as medical bills, death of a spouse, illness of a child, loss of job etc.  Not just because you are underwater or want to move. 

Profile picture for Call The  Sisters
Latest reply by Call The Sisters
  • Posted by Cedric Watkins
  • In Moving

1. 3480 Waldrop Rd, Decatur, GA Home For Sale
    3480 Waldrop Rd, Decatur, GA 30034

2. 3470 Waldrop Rd, Decatur, GA Home For Sale
    3470 Waldrop Rd, Decatur, GA 30034

3. 4435 Flat Shoals Pkwy, Decatur, GA Home For Sale
    4435 Flat Shoals Pkwy, Decatur, GA 30034