I have a very wordy ad for my home - 3 pages of Office Word. What is limit of text in Zillow ad?

• June 26 2012 - Sterling
  • 0

Profile picture for Rita Walker
Wow!! Those photos are not showing me something pleasant. I see corners of bedrooms, lots of toilet photos, a rear yard with more dead grass than live and older kitchen cabinets.

You need to entice buyers into your home. Take many photos then choose 1 of each room that shows it as it best (no bathroom photos). A great exterior photo of the front of your home can do magic (Step back and show the view if you wish to show the landscape. If it has dead growth clean it up or leave it out with a closer shot).

In your description hit the highlights of your home!! Then list the updates and the dates updated. If you have too many words no one will read it!!!

"wetgawgs - I added 50 of my 120 photos of my homestead now for sale! yeah!!"

I'm sorry, but it's more like "oh...um..."

Your photos should have a purpose, tell a story. Unfortunately, what you have are a bunch of snapshots that may have meaning to you, but fail to convey a message. Also, with just the sheer volume, I kept finding myself thinking "how many shots of a XXX do you need?"

Some things to think about...

- What are you trying to highlight? What elements of the house will visually appeal to a potential buyer? (Hint: Unless it's the uber-masterbath, a toilet and sink is not in the mix).

- Is there a reason to have multiple angles of a room/feature/exterior? If not, pick the best and run with it.

- Consider that the intent of the photos is to encourage people to come see the rest, not necessarily to expose every inch.

- In the interior shots, there is little sense of "scale". Without furniture, this just may be a "no other choice", but...

In the infamous words of my junior high english teacher, essays (or ads) ar like skirts. Should be long enough to cover the subject, but short enough to keep it interesting.

Putting a good FSBO ad together is hard.  You don't want to over whelm the potential buyers, but you do want to focus on the good aspects of the house.  

Why would I like to live in a house?   Nice layout?  Great yard?   Quiet neighborhood?  Lots of places to entertain the dogs?  

In some presentations with FSBOs, I hesitate to go see even what may be an interesting house because it appears the sellers have too much emotionally invested in the property or have it way over priced.  

Your "home details page" is not available under "My Zillow".  It is the page with the photos, home details etc. 

50 is way too many photos!   I recommend organizing the photos.  Start with the front view and gently walk through the home and a couple of the yard.   The first photo is of a toilet and sink.   There is no need for a photo of a hose reel and down spout.  The yard desperately needs mowing and looks very neglected (i.e. your street appeal is poor).   The shed roof is covered with dead leaves - such screams poor maintenance. 

You might want to consider changing your first photo. I would probably choose one of the front of the house instead.

wetgawgs - I added 50 of my 120 photos of my homestead now for sale! yeah!!

I appreciate your effort to help me - but 

my options are 
my zillow
listings
profile
account settings
no "If you open your home details page"

If you open your home details page, hover over edit then chose "edit description" from the drop down list, you should be able to put in a description.    Pasting from MS Word can be an issue due to extra coding, so put it in a text format first.    After pasting, click on "continue" so it saves.

Is there a reason that you have one photo only in your ad on Zillow?   Buyers want to see the property, and while I recognize you have photos buried in the website, that is a lot of work.    With the photos in the website - I recommend serious editing.  If you need more than 20 photos, the home should be a mansion with 50 bedrooms and 100 acres of carefully landscaped yard.

Your requirements for application are suggesting that you are planning to be the lender.   If that isn't the case,  it is not likely that people will provide the information you request and it is none of your business.   A pre-approval from a valid lender should be sufficient.    Criminal record?  That request - well talk to your lawyer before you leave that one in the requirements.

In the website - I strongly recommend some serious editing.   It's not selling your house!

I trimmed my ad down to 1/2 pg but do not see any of it in my ad now?? under the photo is only what zillow put there??

wetdawgs thanks - I have a web page where my 'manifesto' will be published for the world to see & review. 

Honestly, 3 pages of Word document is probably not the best way to sell your house. Buyer are visual and most prefer a short description with top quality photos.

You can make your detailed document/description/inspection report available once they come to take a look, but I would keep that volume of words out of your online advertising.

Most text boxes I've used at Zillow appear to have a 2000 character limit.  I'll flag your post to see if you can get an official Zillow answer.

If you have a lot to say about your home, a couple of things to think about:

a.  You may wish to establish another website (and link it) so you can provide more detail.

b.  Consider your audience.   It is a rare person who will read three pages in a home description when they are looking for a home.

That's not an ad, that's a manifesto.