Profile picture for rosee135

I have an estimate on replacement windows from Simonton and also MI windows. I need information!

The company selling the Simonton windows says I need casement windows, and the other one says with the MI windows I need either single hung or double hung. I need help. I have no idea, and can not seem to get much info. online about MI windows.
  • March 27 2011 - Napa
  • 0

Best Answer

Profile picture for Jeff Grenz
Make sure each shows you examples of the windows they intend to install, whether casement of single hung.  Also inquire about meeting egress standards, as some installers/suppliers are not aware of the codes.  It is likely their preference for casement may be because their single hung windows in that size do not meet egress codes, but the MI's might.  Its all about unobstructed dimensions with the window open.

Another thought, get a 3rd quote from another window company with a more competitive brand of window, without financing included.   That will allow you to get an idea of the cost of financing and any other premiums.

Profile picture for ABBAUSA
In our area (SouthEastTexas) all new construction requires minimum 3' x  5' window in all bedrooms......which might be tricky if your original house had smaller windows..............

============
I can say from personal experience that if your windows are older than 30 years....(mine were 40 years)...you will love the new Low-E and double pane. Also air-infiltration is minimum. I opted to add Argon gas and it was well worth it.  Get 3 bids as previously stated as some window companies have very high mark-up.  I enjoy the north side of my house again....looking and feeling.

James Callas - Realtor®