Profile picture for Topcatgolf

I have had 252 hits on my house that was posted. Not one call, not one email. Its priced right!

People just want to look or what?  Why hasn't a realtor brought me anyone?  If this house wasn't a winner I wouldn't be concern.  I am really wondering about Zillow and if it even works....  Or is it a way for Zillow to get an extra $39.00.  Thoughts please.
  • February 27 2011 - Yukon
  • 0

Topcat,
Sounds like you have a home of excellent quality at an attractive price. The challenge now is exposure, getting real tours of your home. 

Home buyers using aggregate websites like Zillow and Trulia are very familiar with the unreliable nature of the data they find. Way too much of th inventory shown is no longer on the market. What this really means is citizens come to Zillow and Trulia to look at the graphs and chart in the belief they are getting actionable data, They then take a peek at the county tax records the see what the current owner paid. Next they go to REALTOR.com where the 'real' data resides. It is at that point they make a decision to call. Yes, sometimes they call from zillow. I get those call also. The caller is nearly always disappointed.

However, for a truly patient homeseller, zillow is an option. As mentioned by others, there are additonal resources, and bringing as many of these resources online to help you sell you home may be beneficial. By all means, verify your home can be found by giving yourself the homebuyer experience and locate your home using the same logical process a homebuyer would use. This may require having an understanding of where the typical buyer is orginating.

Best of luck with selling your home profitably.

oops my fault there pasadenan ha! You still confuse me on whether you want to actually sell your house or not, but I get what your saying about some realtors. There are some people I know that really hit you guys hard with sales crap & I just don't see the point. Either you will sell the house or not, and HECK isnt that the whole point of Zillow? So that we can just share advice instead of you guys always being hammered with sales pitches?

No disrespect to the other agents on this thread I can tell what they are doing and shame shame but whatever that is your own deal.

O & that really sucks about postlets I would totally just pay a realtor a flat fee, or I guess find another way to create a one page website for your home. It really does sell homes as long as you know how to generate traffic to it.

good luck everyone

Profile picture for Topcatgolf
Thanks Connie, I did reposition the map and it has a field or cow pasture with no other houses.  We are in the second phase of this neighborhood.  The map hasn't been brought up to speed yet.  I did check on my listing and it is active.  I am not sure what you are talking about.  Come out to the house this weekend, I have open house every weekend.

Profile picture for Connie Klemme
Your listing doesn't show to be active on here anymore,  when we click your name it shows 0 listings, but if we click that it shows the listing but pinpoints it on Utah Ave.   just off of cornwell -where houses are in the 80s- fix the mapping on your listing.   it's way off.....  If i were a buyer looking and saw that map- I'd stop looking at your listing right away.
and - $100 with a starving photographer is money well spent.

Profile picture for Topcatgolf
We do know our prices!  A lot of customers want everything in this market, and they want it for as cheap as they can get it. The other day I had a guy come in who wanted an icebox, fence, sprinkler, blinds, garage door openers, plus wanted me to drop the price of the house.  Oh really, come on..  He was in his 20's. We didn't have all that when we were 20.  A lot of young people want to start out where there parents are, and that took 30 years to get to that point. Little do they realize we aren't on the West Coast or the East Coast.  The market in Oklahoma is different.  We put so much into our houses, because we want our customers to have the quality of a nice home.  One that will last, and one that is timeless!  We aren't a cookie cutter builder.  A lot of thought and process goes into building the homes. For this price range this is a great house.  If it was up east or on the west coast, it would be a multimillion dollar home.

If you are getting hits, but no interest it may mean that your house is not priced right. I know that you say that you are a builder so you know, but if people are looking and then keep walking something is up. You have to cross the bridge from interest to offer and most often the sticking point there is price.

Make sure that you are getting wide exposure and that you are offering agents a reasonable commission to bring clients to you. They are business people and will pass you by with their clients in tow if they will not get compensation for facilitating the deal.

You might also check out this thread here with a ton of sites where you can list for free. Zillow is a great place to advertise, but the more the better.

Profile picture for Blue Nile
And by the way, Postlets does not allow FSBO's to post there.  That is one of the reasons Rockinblu has complained about the $39.95 charge for FSBO on Zillow as it puts them at a disadvantage.

Of course, there are FSBO Multiple Listing service brokers that will put it in the local MLS and syndicate to the other websites for you for a fee of about $495.  So, to me that is a better option, as a Realtor® will rarely look at anything if it is not in their local MLS.

Profile picture for Blue Nile
Chris -

Apparently you don't realize that I have absolutely no intention of selling my house and that I absolutely don't want ANY phone calls...

I'm not doing a FSBO; I set a "MAKE ME MOVE" to tell they "I'm NOT moving", so "LEAVE ME ALONE"!

But the Realtors® keep calling and mailing and trashing my porch ANYWAY, because some of them have absolutely no ethics and are just desperate for any income they can get.

But apparently you didn't read the original post very well... the poster is a contractor that built the house and has been in the business quite a while; so he is really not asking about Realtors® at all, but rather how to take advantage of Zillow's advertisement media, and asking whether it is worth $39.95 for 6 months listing or not.

Rockinblu wanted to sell through a Realtor®, but the Realtor® did him no services and kept undermining the sale.  So Rockinblu went FSBO and sold through Zillow.  It worked for him, and he wrote a blog about the potential pitfalls, and some pointers on how to do it if one still wants to go that route.

Anyone that posts on Zillow that they want to do FSBO deserves to read Rockinblu's blog on the subject as it is very comprehensive.

Besides, if one compares 6 months listing for $39.95 to a the cost of a weekend classified run in a local newspaper, it is clear that $39.95 is very reasonable.

But as the house is not located correctly on the map, THAT must be fixed as soon as possible.  And if it really is higher priced than the neighboring houses, that also need so be addressed somewhere as most people are hesitant to buy the most expensive house in a neighborhood.  And for that house, a "targeted ad" may work a lot better than just a "featured listing".  He should call Zillow's advertisement department and discuss it with them (AFTER he fixes the location and addresses why all the neighboring houses are lower priced/value).

(My house has so many page views because it was on Zillow's "front page" for months due to a fluke, and Zillow advertising one of THEIR features).

Profile picture for Connie Klemme
so I did a little research, it might be just a little bit overpriced but not much. 
Those comments below about median price in yukon aren't made by people that know the area and realize that "yukon" is physically large and includes old town and even those mobile home neighborhoods between mustang/yukon.   They aren't even in Oklahoma. - The market is good in 73099 right now it's one of the best markets in the metro (i can back that up with data). The average home price in cottonwood farms addition is $200K and very close to your size, time on market is little longer that surrounding additions and whole town but many of them appear to be listed before finished. 
Get some realtors and customers in there to SEE your listing.  It looks like you're a builder- I'm sure there are lots of Realtors happy to sit on open houses if you'll just invite them to do so. and I KNOW there is a lender or two in town that would be willing to do a broker's open for you.

side note: don't really find Pasa's comments offensive.  It is annoying to get those calls.  As a Realtor I dont see value in bullying a person into listing, either they want to or they don't.  This guys clearly is looking for a Realtor to bring a buyer...so there are some simple things he can do to accomplish that.  many builders in the area don't list but do cooperate with us.

Oh & FYI you should be spending more efforts on craigslist because that is where the type of buyers you are looking for will be. Also, I absolutley love postlets.com that would be worth the extra money

You do realize pasadenan that if you keep pissing off realtors you literally just cut off more than 50% of the buyers market? 
   - As for FSBO's unlike some of the realtors on here I could really care less what you do. I don't really understand why FSBO's are so angry with the real estate community but hey it is america.

Regardless, bottom line is if you can sell your house without help go for it Topcatgolf. After all that is the goal ha! I just know from experience that most people who sell themselves consistantly overprice their home, are not that motivated, and are horrible to negotiate with. Good luck!

Profile picture for Blue Nile
By the way, if you are going to do a "for sale by owner", you might want to read Rockinblu's FSBO blog for some insights.

Profile picture for Blue Nile
I have over 94 thousand page views to my home on Zillow.  And all I get is annoying phone calls and annoying mailings.

Of course that is because I intentionally priced "wrong" to tell those annoying Realtors® to stop calling.  I tell them that the price is already posted and if they want to make an offer, they need to put it in writing, and then I hang up on them.

Looks like you are going it without a Realtor. That always gives one more appreciation of Realtors, given enough time.

1- List your home in the MLS, its really the only way to sell a house. I always list in Zillow AS WELL as the MLS, but always the MLS. If its not in the MLS you have little chance to sell it. Bite the bullet and get a Realtor and list in the MLS.

2- Price sells a house - nothing else, dont be fooled. Realtors only facilitate the sale, price sells.

In Yukon, the median price is $120K....HERE are the stats for the area. And Im guessing THIS is your listing. Its twice the median price level, Thats called being overimproved for the area,  For this type of property, you really need a professional Realtor. If you had a median price home for your area, yes, you could swing a FSBO, but IMHO a pro is needed...

I think Zillow works but unfortunately there are a ton of bottom feeders and lookers in the market right now. Good luck.

Philip Roy

Profile picture for Connie Klemme
one last thing...chances are pretty high that people that want to drive by and check out your house can't find it because of mapping issues not just with zillow but with mapquest and even a GPS.  It doesn't locate it properly when you click on zillow map for it.  You can fix that one but other mapping software will have to catch up with you.  consider putting directions in a note. or on the listing description.

Profile picture for Connie Klemme
I took a glance at your listing, it seems to be priced right but to stand behind that I'd need to pull some data from Mls and really look at it which I might do later this evening after catching up with work for my clients.  It looks to be  pretty house but you really do want some different photos.  If you take a look at my listing - it is no where near as nice as your home so the house doesn't look as good but you'll see how the photo lets you get a good feel for the room.  (i have both my crappy photos and our photographer's photos on there so some aren't so great).  the point is..there is a huge difference in the quality of the camera and the type of lense being able to capture more of the room. I'm trying to not to break any rules here with self promotion.....not my goal on this, but i would like to suggest that you get professional photos,  send a flier to at least my office and let us know the details of your home- you don't have to limit this to our office  there are several brokerages the size of us in town...send fliers to all of the.  and you might even contact a local lender to see if they will do a broker's open for you next tuesday and help announce it. the important thing is you'll need to be clear and upfront with agents on what you'd pay for commission in bringing a buyer- just so there is no confusion or misunderstanding.  I hope that was some help.  things are really picking up in Yukon right now (or seem to be from my point of view) so it's a great time to leverage all the opportunity you can, if you aren't going to get it in the MLS at least get the attention of the local realtors, let them see it so they can talk about it with their clients.

Profile picture for Connie Klemme

zillow is a good supplement to the MLS.  Not every realtor uses zillow, many customers don't, this is one avenue to get additional exposure, 252 hits is moderate, also many internet shoppers spend a lot of time looking online before making contact with anyone.  If you want Realtor's to market your property you might also consider both an open house and a broker's open (just for Realtors) , or ask a large office in the area to tour your listing as part of their weekly office tour (assuming the office does tours).   Some professional photos where you can see more of the room in the photo and virtual tours are helpful as well.   there are many other things you can do, you can offer a home warranty with the home, there is far more to marketing that just putting it in zillow.  create some fliers and drop it off by reatlor's office- ask them when their meetings are and ask to have it annouced at their meetings. 

Well maybe this will help. There are 3 rules to Real Estate when listing.
1) Location 2) Price 3) Condition

If you TRULY believe your house is priced correctly than the only possible explanation is your marketing. That is the bottom line. It sounds like you are unrepresented and I am totally cool with that, but you have to understand that most buyer's agents do not look at Zillow for listings because they have the MLS.

This means you will only be marketing to unrepresent buyers, which almost always is usally cash buyers, or buyers with poor financing.

Start offering Seller Financing and you might get some bites.
Also, discount your listing by 20% for 2 weeks and see if you get any offers. Remember, just because you LIST it at this price does not mean you have to accept a low ball offer!

If nothing happens in that two week time span than you definitley have a marketing issue.

Hope this helps!

Profile picture for RealEstateCrew

Zillow is a great avenue of marketing, I list all my homes on Zillow.  I typically get 1,000 to 1,250 hits per contact.  Just give zillow time, unless you are priced below the market, you will not receive any contact on your home. There are too many deals available for buyers to pay market.  I addressed the Realtor statement separately below.

Realtors do not wish to work with sellers when they, the realtor represents the buyer.  Most of the time, I am not saying in your case, the Realtor who represents the buyer has to do twice the work.  This is because FSBO sellers do not know or understand how to follow the contract and argue about issues that are not worth addressing, throughout the transaction.

I agree with Steve, get a listing Realtor.

Josh

You absolutely need a listing Agent. A REALTOR is the best way to get your home shown and sold for the best price.

The best buyers will most likely come from your listing agent or their office.

[Content deemed self-promotional deleted by Zillow Moderator. Please see our Zillow Advice FAQ and Good Neighbor Policy for more information on expectations for participation in Zillow Advice.]

I love to help!

Dear Topcatgolf.   Everyone looks at real estate online as a hobby.   You have to kiss alot of frogs in this business to find your prince.   Best to leave it to the professionals who know from experience where the advertising focus should be.

Hold open houses and get people IN YOUR HOME...pictures on the internet don't convey what your home is actually all about.

Furthermore, if you haven't hired a professional photographer to take pictures, the pictures  you have are probably more of a turn-off than anything else.

I pay a guy $50 to take photo's of my listings, and it pays huge dividends.

Quite frankly, "hits" on the internet mean nothing. I am an agent, and even I look at houses..all over the country.... on the internet, with no intention of buying them..or anything.
Is you home only "listed" on Zillow?
If so - no offense to zillow, but you're only htting the tip of the proverbial iceberg as far as exposure.
Get on your local MLS...Realtor.com.... and all other usual sites used to market homes.

Now, if you ARE on your MLS , and  the agents in your area aren't showing the house, then I'd be concerned...especially if your home is as lovely as you have stated.
Unless your area has NO homes selling, the only conclusion, contrary to what you may think, is that the price is not"right".

The market talks by its reaction to a listing  - buyers talk by their reaction to a listing.......Sellers don't always listen, especially when it's not what they want to hear.

Neither sellers nor their agents set the market - the buyers do.

Since, I am sure, based on what you have said, that your home shows beautiflly.....the only conclusion to no showings, if it is on the MLS is ...wrong price.or...... a totally dead market.

Do you have an agent (it doesn't sound like you do)? But, if you do, what are they saying?

I have no way to judge prices for Oklahoma, as I'm thousands of miles away and have no real estate experience in Oklahoma.

Profile picture for Topcatgolf
I know price is everything! Did you even pull up this house and look at it?

The right price will bring buyers to your door.   The wrong price will have no one coming to your door.   Only time will tell.

Profile picture for Topcatgolf
This house is priced right!  Being a builder, we know our prices.  

In six days - often when a house goes on the market, the Realtor community investigates.    Is it priced right?  If it is, you will start getting direct communications.  If not, you won't.