Profile picture for erichlyttle

I have partner on title not mortgage can I sell house w/o his permission?

I have all the financial responsibility and the property is impacting my credit.  I need to sell ASAP. 
  • August 13 2012 - Beaumont-Wilshire
  • 0

Best Answer

When I first started in this business I had a lot of business experience, but no real estate experience.   Because I consulted regularly with my managing broker,  several times he kept me from stepping off a cliff I didn't know was there.   It sounds to me like you need a real estate attorney to do the same for you.   Shoot me an email if you'd like a recommendation in Portland.   My opinion is the same as the previous writer's answer if all is as simple as you present here, but it sounds like your situation may be more complicated.  An hour's consultation with a real estate attorney may keep you from jumping off the proverbial cliff you didn't know was there.

You must get their permission. It is possible you might have to take legal action if they are uncooperative. 

Nope. You will need your partner to sign off to be able to transfer title to the new owner. If that is a problem, I would seek advice about your legal options to come to an agreement.

Sorry, the answer is no. If you can't bribe the partner to sign off, distasteful as that may be, it's probably your only alternative short of some kind of legal action, which would likely be more expensive.

You would probably need to have the other owner sign a 'quit claim' deed. to remove them from title. If the other owner was unable or unwilling to sign over the deed, it may be necessary to take the issue to a judge.

As always, consult an attorney for your specific situation.