I have sellers remorse and am going to go to closing in about a month Is there anything I can do to

• June 26 2012 - New York
  • 0

Either way if you stay or move, enjoy the new journey in your life!

Thank You all - I have contacted my attorney and broker - I know there's really no way out at this point - certainly not one I could afford - Unless let's all pray (if you believe in prayer) that the buyers really want out

You need to contact your attorney if you REALLY want to get out of the transaction. This could cost you some money.

If  you have seller's remorse, consult and attorney so that you do what is necessary.  You have two issues here, your commitment to sell with the buyers and your responsibility to pay the commission to your listing agent, who did as promised, she brought you a buyer.  Do a lot of internal reflecting on the reasons for which you wanted to sell and the subsequent reasons for not selling now that you have a buyer.  Is this unusual for you to get to a point and then change your mind?  What are your concerns or fears?

Profile picture for Al Colhoun
Ask yourself two questions.  Why did you want to sell in the first place?  What was the goal?  If your wants/needs/goals have changed, immediately speak with your agent, review the purchase agreement, speak with a real estate attorney.  Act quickly to avoid further expenses and costs to yourself or others.  Maybe the Buyers want out too.  Good Luck!

I would advise you to do two things and quickly. Really examine the motivation for your change of heart and look into your primary resons for wanting to sell. Has anything significantly changed? Secondly, if you still want to stop the sale, consult with a real estate attorney. You should advise your realtor to contact the buyer's agent and let them know. Good luck to all of you. Suzanne

If you have "Seller's remorse" and don't want to sell then have an attorney look over the contract you signed and tell you how to break a contract legally.  In 25 years of selling homes I only had one seller decide not to sell.   He couldn't find a place to move to.  He eventually sold shortly after changing his mind once he was comfortable that there was something out there for him to move into.  

Profile picture for Cindy Quinton
My apologies, that is what happens when you have insomnia and answer questions. Of course your agent is thinking she did what she was hired to do and sold your house. If you don't plan on going through with it she will be out time, money, and effort for nothing. And the buyer may have already sold their property (or given up a lease), spent money on inspections, and very much emotionally invested themselves in the process.

Selling is difficult at best, we get so emotional about our home...not a house, but a place we've built a life, HOME. You need to explore the reasons why you are selling in the first place, are those reasons still there? Do you need to sell? I doubt anyone can make you sell, but they may pursue legal action to force you to make them "whole" again. If you really just can't go through with it, you have to speak to your agent, now. And you might go ahead and seek some legal advice to see what action can be done, the sooner the better.

Thanks for responding!   I have SELLERS Remorse  - I would let the buyers out without any penalties etc - is there anyway I can get out of selling - I haven't talked to my broker.....She's been impossible throughout this process and she actually was upset with me that I wasn't jumping up and down with joy

Do a self examination and determine why you have buyers remorse. If you truly don't want the house for valid reasons, I would do as Cindy suggested. If it's just a case of nerves and the house really does suit you, talk to your agent. Having a case of cold feet close to settlement is normal and your agent can help you walk through the reasons why or why not this is a good move for you.

Profile picture for Cindy Quinton
Get out now even if you have to forfiet your earnest money before you incur more expenses and inconvenience the seller even more. But don't buy a house you've changed your mind about and don't want.