Profile picture for backwardsman

I have two houses on one survey of land. online it says that one house is in someone elses name.

My survey when I bought the houses shows that both houses are on the same plot of land. I  recently had tennants move in to one of the houses and try to get some furniture from rent a center. when they asked where they live and who owns the property it was in someone elses name. I went online and it has someone else owns the other house. also for my taxes it says I only pay for one house not both.
  • June 17 2010 - Clarksville

Profile picture for backwardsman
shayne, yes that is the site that says that it is owned by someone else. if you check mongomery county and for the name type in knisley d. that shows the entire survey moved over. the house to the right of mine is the one they told me that it was mine too. by this survey I dont own that one and that I own half of the one to the left.

Seek a real estate Attorney, and like Shayne said you assessor office.  Your county recorders off is some place you want to also Check.   Depending on how long you have owned the properties, and if some had use of the property, unobstructed for a certain amount of time they may have acquired the property through adverse possession.

The house address isn't as important as the legal description of the property which shows up on the deed (and probably within the paperwork you signed when you purchased the property).  I don't know how it works in Tennessee.  The survey, in and of itself, isn't necessarily going to tell you what you own.  Who had the survey done? What was the purpose? There are any number of reasons that both houses show up in the survey - for example, it's possible that it was done for the purposes of a lot line adjustment between the two properties.  Did the person who sold you the property advertise that both homes within the survey were part of the sale?  If so, might be time for you to talk to an attorney.

Try going to the tax assessor's website to see how they have it listed.  That's a good place to get started.  http://www.assessment.state.tn.us/

Profile picture for backwardsman
I havent seen my deed. or are you talking about the paperwork I signed in the begining for the houses. that paperwork only had one house address on it. on my deed though the land survey it says that the other house is on it.

What does your deed show?