I heard this story about 100 times from realtors - the client in town for the weekend

I have a buyer in town for the weekend looking to buy something before he leaves. He wants to see your place and he only has time to see it today.

Realtors, please stop using this lame excuse because you want to see my place in a short notice, I heard this same story about 100 times. It did work on the first time but now every time I hear, it just makes me laugh.

April 13 2012 - Miami Beach

Best Answer
lol I heard that one. Funny thing was that I had a listing agent and the house had a lockbox on it, but the agent called me directly anyway. I asked if the whirlwind mysterious buyer was George Clooney so I could stay for the showing.

Many clients looking to buy a home are moving from one location to a completely different location.  In fact, it is extremely commonplace.  Often they are only in town for a day or a weekend.  People transfer jobs, return home after retirement, move back to be close to family, etc... This happens in every city in existance.  I've had clients initially schedule appointments in advance of their trip, but after looking and not finding what they want, they will then ask to see more homes.  Then these motivated buyers pick a home and buy it.  Buyers won't buy a home they can't view.  If a realtor has actually lied about this, then shame on that particular person.  However, the scenario truly does happen frequently.    

The difference between the sellers who are committed to a sale and the ones that "don't need to sell" but want to sell, is the level of participation they have with showing the property.  Once a seller lists the property, it should always be ready for a showing, within reason.   I always feel that 24 hours is too long a notice.  Have a lockbox, on a door and agents should be able to show the property on demand.  If you work outside the house, make sure beds are made and the house is tidy before leaving in the AM.  In my neck of the woods there are lots of buyers from out of state,over the weekend, if they drive by, and want to see the property, they should be able to see it.  It may be the last time they are there and in the mood to buy.

Being Realtors that value honesty and always strive to conduct ourselves with intergity, we get sick of 'lies' from other agents too..."I have another offer coming in on this property" or "My buyers just don't have any more money".....so we feel your pain.  I guess it's just the nature of the business.

A showing is a showing so it is worth accommodating if you can. It's just that the "line" struck me as funny too since I was definitely not in a destination market at the time.

Profile picture for hpvanc
You are in Miami Beach where there is a greater likelyhood of it being true, than in non-vacation destinations.  Also it could potentially be a sign your market is heating up for out of town buyers which may or may not last, as inconvenient as it seems it may be in your best interest to capitalize on it.

Ya know some times it is VERY true!! I suppose it comes down to how bad do you want to sell? I agree there should be some notice BUT I have sold homes to out of town clients, only in for the weekend and they will purchase that weekend, they don't want to mess with it any more then you do, some times those are the best showings to have.  Good luck!!!

I'm so glad some people listen to this message.   We were in town for the weekend, and did make an offer (and live in that house now).

How much notice should a seller wish to have before having their house shown?   When we were selling,  we figured 10 minutes was enough between 9 am and 9 pm.  Sure, it was a bit inconvenient but we did sell promptly.