Profile picture for dmf415

I just bought my home this year and the property taxes are $300k more than what I paid.what do i do?

The san francisco assessment of my house came in $300k higher than what i paid for the house this year for 2009-2010.  Isn't the property taxes suppose to be based on sale price since I bought in 2010?
  • August 16 2010 - Visitacion Valley
  • 0

Profile picture for wfamilyman

When you purchased your home,you had a appraisal done on the property,Most townships give you a window of about 90 days in the beginning of the year to protest the assessed amount.The township tax assesser will give you a counter offer,if you agree with his appraisal fine .If your not satisfied,you can go to a hearing and state your case.In my case the township lowered my assessement by 135,000.00, saving me about 2,000.00 a year in tax payments.GOOD LUCK.

It should adjust within the first year of your ownership. You have to pay the taxes as they are now, but the city will issue you a credit toward the following year's tax bill or cut you a refund check.

Profile picture for dmf415
thanks all =)

You can also contact http://www.sfassessor.org/ .... Good luck, Rudi

It will adjust based on your purchase price.  Often this take 6 to 12 months.