Profile picture for flowerintrg

I just finished paying all my debts on my credit report that were from 2006 when I was having proble

I just finished paying all my debts on my credit report that were from 2006 when I was having problems.  All collection agencies, no bankruptcy or anything heavy.  I just opened a secured credit card account.  My score was 545, now I am waiting for it to go up.  I already found the home I want.  It costs 29,900, and I have steady income and can afford the estimated $161 a month I would have to pay.  Does anyone know of a place I can get preapproved from..or do I have to wait for the score itself to actually go up?.  And if I have to wait for the score to actually go up, it shouldn't take long because everything is paid off...right?  I live in Philadelphia, Pa

January 15 2011 - North Central

Best Answer
[Deleted for self promotion]

A mortgage rep recently told me of programs that may be available for people with scores in the 500 - 579 range.  However, you need a higher down payment.  10%  Once the score is 580-599, the down payment is 5%.  The brochure was handed out at my NJ office.  I am going to see if program is available in PA.  Good luck!

Just saw Gene Fish's posting.  There's your answer. 

News Flash GENE!

That happened back in October 2010

Finding a lender that does not have an overlay to the FHA guidelines is the challenge.  It's hard enough finding a lender willing to accept 620 scores...545...will be next to impossible!

Maybe you should give your credit agency a call and ask them why despite of the fact that you have already settled all of your obligations, your credit rating is still not improving. Sometimes, you actually need to show them proof that you are no longer in the financial straights before they can upgrade your scores. If you do not have the time to wait for your score to improve, there are home equity and LTV, 

[Link deleted for self promotion]

This was announced yesterday:
NEWS FLASH: Effective immediately FHA financing is available for home buyers with credit scores of 500 and up. Down payment required is based on the home buyer's score as follows:

500-579 allowed with 90% LTV

580-599 allowed with 95% LTV

600 and higher with 96.5% LTV

Seller contribution limited to 3%

Gift funds may not be used for the required 5% or 10% down payment.

Additional requirements regarding debt ratio and reserves will apply for all transactions with credit score below 600