I live in Missouri, my landlord has defaulted on the mortgage must i still pay him rent

My landlord has defaulted on his mortgage he is months behind on this one and another one. He is in rehab and his cousin has power of attorney. Must I continue to ppay rent to his cousin as his demanded by the cousin even though they are in default aand will let it be foreclosed on

June 19 2012 - Louisiana

WetDawg is correct that in order to "legally" stay in the home you must continue to pay rent to the owner.  In fact, you may even be able to stay in the home after the bank takes the property back assuming you continue to pay. The payment would just revert to the owner of the property. That said, your best move is to call the cousin and renegotiate the rent. I'd offer him 50% of the current payment but you could do what ever you feel is fair to both parties.  He could say no, but he may just say yes and I saved you half your rent!  Let me know if it works!

Yes, you must continue to pay rent unless you wish to be evicted.  Once you stop paying rent, you lose all rights except for the landlord to comply with the state's laws on eviction.  The rental agreement is between you and the landlord, not you and the lender.