Profile picture for summernights

I live in alabama. I am approximately 6 months past due on my homeowners association dues.

What can the HOA do? I own my home outright, I do not have a mortgage. I inherited my home a little over a year ago. I am working, but also a single mother, and HOA dues are the last on my list of bills. Can they forclose on my home?
  • August 27 2011 - Alabaster

They cannot foreclose on your home. They can place a lien on your home, but this would only have to be paid upon the sale of your home. I understand that times are hard, and things happen, so do not worry about the HOA.

But, first talk to them; let them know what is going on, they may not be happy about it, but they don't have a lot of legal room to force you to do anything.

*You may want to consult an attorney in your state before forcing a hand with the HOA, but you may want to go ahead and at least tell them why you can't pay.

I am not a lawyer, and this is not legal advice...

The fact that you own your home outright may work against you.

Our association placed liens against houses for unpaid HOA fees and collection fees. However, there was never any incentive to attempt to foreclose to collect - because many homeowners in arrears had used their homes as ATMs and were upside down.

While foreclosure may be a possibility, it's a pretty drastic step and there should be other speed bumps in the process. However, it's best to address the overdue HOA fees sooner than later. If nothing else, you may find yourself in a situation where the penalties and collection fees are worse than the orignial HOA fees.

Best of luck...

They can place a lien on your home for the amount owed plus any expense they incur due to collection process. 

Yes, they can.  Most likely they will put a lien on the property