I live in maine. I have a score of 594, will anyone deal with us without needing 20% down?

A mortgage broker told us that no bank will deal with us without a score of 620-640. If FHA lends to 580 or better, how do I get a bank to deal with us with my socre being low? Or was what mistaken in what he told me? 
  • September 13 2012 - Bangor
  • 0

I have used a service for clients, Better Credit Now and they did improve credit scores by over 100 points on some clients.  You have to pay them about $250 person and there are some things you must do in order to help them like getting 3 small credit cards that are in some cases secure cards where you use your own money and pre-load the credit card, but they definitely can work.

You may not be able to qualify for a loan at this time, however a lot of the lenders that we suggest to our clients will help coach them into a better score so that they can become qualified. We are currently working with some clients who had a forclosure on their record, and within a matter of a few months our lender was able to coach them into improving their score enough to qualify for a mortage. My suggestion to you is to ask your agent for a list of recomended lendors in the area, and apply for a mortgage. If you don't qualify at this time just ask them what you can do to become qualified!!

Profile picture for Cindy Quinton
What you should really consider doing is correcting your credit issues. Unless you have a bankruptcy or foreclosure it is very likely that you can raise your credit scores in a matter of a few months. Go to www.myfico.com and read and ask questions. Trust me it works for me.