I lost a high paying job 4 years ago and have been struggling making about half as much ever since..

• September 28 2012 - US
  • 0

If thinking about using the IRA, calculate your true costs:   Some of them would be

10% penalty if less than 59 1/2 years old.
20% or more federal taxes plus state taxes of unknown percent. 

Cash flow may be tough this year, but is it really worth >30% of your IRA?   Even if prices increase over the next year, it won't be 30% increase.

There is maximum limit to the amount one can put in an IRA or Roth each year, so next year you won't be able to put $100 k right back in.

I'd tighten the belt until you are eligible for a mortgage.

I guess it got cut off...
I make about half the income I used to make and I'm looking to increase my cash flow...

We have a rental property we've had for 15 years that we've always loved to manage and we're thinking about getting another one.

Our credit took a serious hit recently and it'll be at least another year before we can get a new mortgage.  I'm thinking of taking the $100k I have in my traditional IRA out, paying the penalty and tax on it, and buying a property for cash.  Therefore increasing our cash flow to a much better position.

In a year or so we could refinance (or finance) it and then we would have the choice to put the cash into a Roth or invest in another rental.

I don't want to do this through a self directed IRA as the cash flow would have to go back into the IRA therefore defeating the purpose.

It seems like we should go for it.  Or did I miss something?

I'm sorry, yes, many of us have been in those shoes.

Did you have a question?