Profile picture for Marianne M. Chapman

I moved here from Hawaii to buy a short sale! I'm pre approved for $500,000 w/Chase bank.

The better the deal, the more I want to buy! 

Marianne
  • May 10 2011 - San Jose
  • 0

Marianne, It is going on 15 years that I "transplanted" from the east coast to the San Jose area and I love it here!  How do you come to the determination you wanted a "short sale?"  Are you flexible on your lease and living arrangements?  When you chose the right agent, have them explain the difference, especially with respect to certainty of purchase price and contract approval/close of escrow times to be sure that is the right path for you.

Hi Marianne,

Welcome to California! Some of my family still lives on the windward side of Oahu and we still spend as much time as we can in Punaluu. 

Your going to enjoy a slightly lower cost of living between Hawaii and California.

You are going to want to start your search by interviewing several agents to see who is the right fit for you. Then start working out the areas you want to live in. I see your post is related to San Jose, so I am assuming you are interested in the Santa Clara County area.

You can find some advice on how to pick a good agent at my websites:

[links removed by moderator]

I do a weekly live internet radio show every saturday morning where we often talk about how to pick the right agent. You can find that here:

[link removed by moderator]

Old shows are up there as well if you want to see what we have talked about before.

If I can be of any help, please feel free to get in touch.

You need to buy in Fort Lauderdale we have a few great ocean front units
  Let me know if I can be of Help.
20yrs in the bussiness Keller Williams Realty Professional

Hello Marianne, welcome to California.  You are a dream buyer coming to an agent already preapproved.  Prudent also on your part as showing sellers you are a serious buyer puts you in a positive negotiating opportunity.  Zillow does not let us post our contact info here but I would like to send you some listings.  Please contact me through my Zillow profile and I would be happy to help you identify the perfect property for you.  Kind regards, - Andrea.

Marianne,

Have you considered Austin, Texas to invest?  Great location (centrally located in the US).  We have six strong economies which are:

1) Entertainment (SXSW Film and Music Festival, the Film Industry, ACL (Austin City Limits) Concert series, fine outdoor living (lakes and rivers) etc...)
2) State and Local government (Austin is the capital city of Texas)
3) Farm and Ranch
4) Oil and gas
5) High Tech Industry (Apple,Dell, Samsung, AMD, etc...)
6) Higer Education (UT Austin, St Edwards University, COncordia College, etc..)

We moved here from San Jose 19 years ago.  What we learned was the life style is Austin is more in line with the way life was in the SF Bay area, back in th 60'-70's. We have lots of wide open spaces here and the cost of living is much less than California.  I'm happy to share whatever I can with you about our wonderful city and what the beautiful Texas Hill Country has to offer.

Jessica Dodge
Dodge Team Properties at Keller Williams Realty
512-514-1700

Hello Marianne,

Which areas are you looking to purchase in? Also, it's very important to understand the short sale process before putting in an offer. Is there a specific reason you are only looking for short sales?  Are you looking for something you can rent out, live in or both? I work with a lot of investors, if you like I can send you a list of properties.

Profile picture for BradGill

Hi Marianne,

Great news and you couldn't have picked a better time to buy!

I see you're interested in short sale properties...be sure that you have a chance to discuss the complexities of such a transaction with a knowledgeable local Realtor.

There can be many buyer traps associated with such transactions, and the success rate of closing on the home you're looking to purchase can be drastically reduced if the agents involved are inexperienced with such transactions.

I would highly suggest finding a Realtor experienced in assisting buyers and seller through short sale transactions…you can look for agents that have earned special designations such as the Short Sale & Foreclosure Resource certification, or the Certified Property Expert Designation.

Hi Marianne,

What specific area are you looking to purchase?  If you can narrow it down I or other agents can give you referrals.  Thanks! 

Marianne,

Thank you for your question.  The best recommendation is to contact a local Realtor in your area.  You can find one by searching on Zillow in your area.  After you find one, you can read actual reviews by their past clients!!!  If this does not work for you, I would be willing to lend a hand just give me a shout.

Hi Marianne, if you don't currently have a realtor and are looking for one, I'd be glad to help you!  Just let me know.

Profile picture for Mills Realty
Have you contacted a local Realtor to search properties for you?