Profile picture for gooseman99

I moved out after 3 mo lease but lessor says I owe 1 mo more for no "notice" to vacate??

The lease has a notice clause that says I have to notify them if I am vacating the apartment.  I told them I had no intention of staying beyond the 3 months when I signed the lease and there is no provision to extend beyond the agreed term. Notification is for mtm or auto-renew leases, not for a fixed single term lease.  How can I get them off my back? 
  • August 21 2010 - US
  • 0

Profile picture for shasta_steve

Not sure about your situation but I know my last lease required me to notify them 30 days before I moved out of my six month lease.  I am not sure about what state you are in but I believe that California leases automatically roll to month to month if there is not another agreement.  I know it is too late now but you should have "told" them in writing. 

It might be a good idea to talk to a lawyer but that could quickly add up to more money than you would get back.  You might do much better researching tenants rights before you go and blow your money on a lawyer.  I would also guess if this an apartment the management knows the rules and will use any loophole at all to keep as much of your money as possible.  I know it sucks and it is one of the main reasons I have always hated to rent. 

Profile picture for Doug Emde
Typically that is the purpose of the lease.  The lease ends specifically on the ending date.  You'll need to check your state's landlord tenant act and see if you have the ability to waive your rights when signing a lease.  Talk to an attorney.

This is a subject where I'd recommend you consider calling an attorney for advise.