Profile picture for MsUnique

I need help finding a good and sound location that accepts section 8

I recently received a voucher. I have a two year old daughter who I want to grow up in a neighborhood that resembles were I grew up at (Beverly). I have gotten shunned a few times because I receive a HCV. I just want the opportunity for my daughter to go to an excellent school and area where I don't always have to look over my shoulder or hold my head down because making eye contact might be mistaken for something else.
  • February 17 2014 - West Rogers Park
  • 0

As a parent myself, I can understand the desire to provide the best environment for your child. My suggestion is to go to neighborhoodscout.com, do your research, find a few areas of interest and then contact a leasing agent for additional help.

Profile picture for Andrew Malak
Local Housing has the list of all approved locations.

Profile picture for JayMcHughExpert
Contact the best rental agents in the area of concern....they will be able to help as well as they will have the contacts to the local housing authority....hope this starts you off in the right direction

Go look at any properties you wish to look at (search the newspaper, Greigs List, etc.)... when you see apartments/houses you wish to rent, submit an application to the owner and say that your on section 8 (the owner or realtor representing the owner can then simply call the local housing authority who will send an inspector out to approve the house/apartment).

obviously make sure your looking at the number of bedrooms your allowed (I assume your set for a 2 bedroom apt/house having 1 daughter), In other words dont look at 4 bedroom units in that case.

To obtain approval requires very minimal standards that most any landlord already meets! (example: screens on windows, door locks on doors, hand rails on stairs, etc.) Their are some very big advantages to rent section 8 (some of the things Ive seen that landlords mights see as advantages are that your not allowed to have others living with you, the brunt of your rent comes from the Gov. so its generally on time and in the mailbox) ... let the landlord know these things, take pride, hold your head high because you care about others and how important it is for you to raise your daughter in "that" neighborhood, let the landlord/realtor know you will be an outstanding tenant!

>>>> Best Wishes!  

It is hard to find section 8 housing, gosection8 website is probably your best best.

Many landlords haven't stepped up to the plate to become qualified to accept section 8 vouchers because it takes time and money, and they have no problem finding tenants without the vouchers. 

May all go well.   

Hiring a leasing agent can help you save money and time.  Interview three and focus on the one you feel will be a good fit. Good luck!